99 ZX2 check engine light etc

I realized that diagnosing a car problem on the internet is tough, but here goes.

1999 ZX2 check engine light came on with no problem symptoms apparent. car started to intermittently fast idle (2500 RPM) local garage reset light and read codes - no error codes present car now occasionally stumbles at about 45 mph (no check engine light on now)

any ideas?

Reply to
David Bergeron

Did they read the codes before they reset them?

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Thanks for getting back to me on this one. They said no codes were present of any type. I'm not completely sure I believe them, but the engine light is not on at this time after a day of driving and the car does have a stumble.

Reply to
David Bergeron

If they disconnected the battery while checking stuff out, the computer may need to relearn how to operate the engine. A stumble or similar is not too unusual during this time. If it is still doing it in a few days, please disregard this response.

PoD

Oh, does the stumble occur in a predictable way? Maybe at a certain speed or near a shift?

Thanks

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

Oh, you said 45 mph, didn't you. Is it an automatic? You might be feeling

4th gear or torque converter lockup...

Was it a Ford dealer shop you went to?

Thanks - trying to help PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

Thanks for the feedback. I will keep my eyes on it.

Reply to
David Bergeron

My daughter is driving it, I will be taking it for a ride today. It was a local shop, not a dealer.

Reply to
David Bergeron