Yaris, Scion xD, Honda Fit - no water temp gauge

The fact is, they are doing a better job with the computer programming than a human can with whatever gauges would fit into the dashboard.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I understand it just fine.

Nice straw man.

Strawman.

Ford could have a real temp gauge in my mustang with a different printing on the dash. Instead of NORMAL it could actually have numbers. For the oil pressure same thing with a real sender. Cost difference = ZERO.

Alternatively the OBD2 functions could be put into a display wrapped up with the idiot lights and it would probably be a cost savings. It could easily display virtual gauges.

Reply to
Brent P

eh? you're the one who said "If you value your labor at zero".

Reply to
jim beam

and it's the same engineers who spec that stuff as who fit dummy gauges for the nate's of this world to look at. they /know/ what they're doing.

Reply to
jim beam

but what he doesn't say is that these gauges do absolutely /nothing/ to prevent them!!! a gauge may tell you your tire is flat, but it does nothing to stop that nail puncturing it.

that's not true. i merely point out that because the geeks that design these things /know/ what they're doing, they /know/ that the vehicle remains in spec, given correct maintenance, for its lifetime. the instrumentation that does their initial homework is /not/ necessary for the consumer to operate it. just like elmo's refrigerator analogy.

heck, /i'm/ mr anal retentive when it comes to my car, and /i/ don't need gauges to run the thing. test it, sure, but not run it.

Reply to
jim beam

If you consider the 'cost' to be $300 then you value your labor at zero. Duh.

Reply to
Brent P

You obviously don't know jack shit about product development.

Reply to
Brent P

What you get in the dash is a function of industrial design and marketing. The engineers who developed the product have practically nothing to do with those decisions.

As far as what those 'geeks' do, well, the ones I know tend to add the gauges they want even if they are hacked in and laying on the floor ;)

Reply to
Brent P

Your words speak for themselves.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

HAhahahahahahaha! you've never owned a GM car then have you.

Their engineers may know what they're doing, but they don't get to do the *right* thing. Their cars are crap.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

So, elmo, how long have you worked as an engineer in product development?

Reply to
Brent P

Alongside WITH such engineers? 10 years.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

So you actually haven't done it yourself. Try it some time in a large US corporation where you are over-ridden by marketing, finance, and industrial design. Where you are told to use the crappy lowest cost supplier (then blamed when they can't make a decent part even though the vendor they replaced could do it in their sleep). Where you are forced to compromise the function and durability for form so the industrial designer can have the exact look he drew up even though it's beyond current manufacturing technology or the finance people don't want to pay for it. Better yet, being held to some dumb ass marketing dimensional standard that hopelessly compromises the product. There's nothing like stuffing 10lbs into a 2lb bag.

Reply to
Brent P

That's exactly my environment.

I don't need lectured on this one bit.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

And yet you argue the exact opposite.

Reply to
Brent P

Um, what is so difficult to understand as to basic guages? Even with today's dumbed down public, oil pressure, coolant temperature, etc can be clearly marked as to acceptible ranges.

Again, if gages are marked with an acceptable range, any reading below that can be addressed before major damage occurs.

Usually, an oil pump...

I haven't seen many (if any) modern Honda engines for less than $1,000 and that doesn't include labor for a changeout.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

The only problem with this thinking is that someone that monitors a basic set of gages will take action vs. the 'puter saying "check motah" will likely result in the driver ignoring it, (since the same warning can also point to insignificant errors), and driving the car to total failure... Especially females. (Not you Elle).

Sad testimony to what we have achieved as a society.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Isn't this thread dead yet?

Gauges should always be an option on a car, and they should be REAL gauges, not idiot gauges.

Reply to
Calab

snip

Exactly. The public (herds of sheeple) have been dumbed down so badly that they must be spoon fed in nearly every facet of life.

For me, I own no car with a "Check Motah" light. WTF??? Give me a clue!

And there lies the Achilles heel of simplified notifications. "You Have a Problem." OK, but WTF is it? Is it something I can ignore for the immediate time frame and take care of it later or is it a bearing crunching oil starvation coolant overheating emergency? Beats me until I smell sumptin' burning or the damned thing just quits.

Bingo!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Elmo, I gotta take issue here.

For example, everyone should know the four basic functions of math; addition, subtractionn, multiplication and division.

Likewise, everyone that has a driver's license should be aware of the four basic functions to be monitored on any internal combustion engine; gas remaining, electrical system status, oil pressure and coolant temperature.

This is not rocket science by any means.

Geeeeeeeez,

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire