Latest threads in Automotive Technologiesshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

How far you can drive after a police spike strip punctures all four tires
L.A. County sheriff's deputies used spike strips to slow down a chase suspect who drove on a bike path next to a river. Full story:...
9
9

Foo on Tesla Repair Center
A buddy has a Model 3 in need of some warranty repairs. He lives in Alabama== where there ain't no Tesla repair centers-- so he made an appointment at the nearest one-- in Atlanta. He arrives after a...
3
3

What percentage of flat tires can be saved?
In your experience, what percentage of your flat tires have to have the tire replaced versus just having the flat repaired? I realize everything is up to chance, but in the last couple of years, my...
185
185

red retro-reflective plexiglass sheets?
Like reflectors on trucks, but they are little bits 6 inches long. I imagined somebody must make the stuff embossed with the reflector pattern in larger sizes, maybe 3 feet wide. Can't even find such...
2
2

How could hundreds of clearings of the OBD codes cause the catalytic I/M readiness monitor to set?
How could 50 to 100 clearings of the OBD codes (using a dumb OBD reader) cause the catalytic I/M readiness monitor to set after months of not setting? Can the complicated electronics modules be...
28
28

Nissan 6 gallon steel gas can in good condition for marine use
I was given a 6 gallon heavy-gauge Nissan steel gas can for marine use in excellent condition on the outside, but which has rust on the inside. First question is obvious - why do they make gas cans...
10
10

Can we standardize on one two-stroke gas:oil mix or not?
I just replaced the primer bulb in a 2-stroke engine which says it's 50:1 oil mix but I have some that are 32:1 and 40:1 but if I can help it, I don't want to stock three different mixes. If I choose...
2
2

Why do they put those stupid bulb carburetor gasoline primers on small engine motors?
Why do they put those stupid bulb primers on small engine motors? I hate small engine bulb gasoline carburetor primers. 1. They break within just a few years of use. 2. When they break, you can't...
8
8

Standard gearbox undocumented feature
minute video. The teens couldn't figure out how to drive the car and fled on foot. The teens couldn't figure out how to drive the car and fled on foot. The teens couldn't figure out how to drive the...
4
4

Spport vs trouring; gauge lighs on Solara
I'm starting out early shopping for a used car and I find that Masda MX-5 Miata has models called grand touring, but some are called sport. Nissan 350Z has models called Touring, grand touring, just...
13
13

Shims on disc brake pad?
Usually the manufacturers claim in their catalog this the shims reduce noise. How is this so? The cheapo pads seem not to have them. Anyway when changing brakes, I often find it is a tight squeeze...
1
1