1000,000 mile oil in 1976!

I lifted this from another forum.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

The longest Popular Science Article ever. In the late 1960s a Ford Lube expert ran his company car for 100,000 miles on pure synthetic oil "after" pounding it in the Fords oil tests. They have improved a hell of lot since and the price has dropped to not much more than mineral oils. "mineral oils are as antiquated as the Model T"

Here is the article. It reads left page to right page. Covers both pages. Starts top of 90 and over over to 91 and back to 90 then read down after.

Note they are on about the top quality "pure" synthetic oils like Mobil 1 was and Amsoil is. %%%%%%%%%%%%

I read the article.The Ford lube dept part was impressive. One car at the time, a Renault, increased mpg by 10%. The parts on the Lincoln engine were fit enough to put into a new engine after a strip down after 100,000 miles on the same oil. Highly Impressive.

So, 100,000 miles is obtainable on "pure synthetic" oil. Yet I never saw any Ford car specify the oil, until recently.

But...

Since about 2004 Mobil 1 is no longer a "pure" synthetic oil. Mobil lost a test case against Castrol re Magnatec which was claimed to be fully synthetic when it was in fact a hydrocracked Group IV mineral oil. The use of hydrocracking paraffin etc into engine oil makes a boost to profit from utilisation of lower grade stocks. As a result Mobil themselves moved to it, so basically synthetic can mean "true" polyolefin etc or blend of cracked mineral oils. Mobil 1 did adverise 25,000 lide for their oils before breakdown. I see they no longer claim that. This is now as clear as mud for the end user. I will never buy Castrol again...or Mobil 1.

The base oils are in group numbers: i, ii, iii, iV, V, Only V and above is pure synthetic. Number iii which is a mineral base is also sold as "fully synthetic" in some brands. The "pure synthetics" are the only oils that can run to 100,000 miles before changes, as per the Ford lube tests in the

1960s.

Amsoil is definitely pure synthetic and one of the first oils - but rare, but available by mail order. Millers in the UK do a "pure" synthetic, who advertise longer life and extended changes oil. So, at £60 for a pure Millers synthetic and keep it in for 3 years is economical worth it - far cheaper on Ebay. Then there is the vastly superior protection the pure synthetics give - not just long life, that is where the benefits lay. The Ford testing article stated that after 100,000 miles the engine parts were as new and fit enough to be put in a new engine. That is one of the prime benefits.

BTW, in Germany and Japan they cannot market any oil with a base oil below No. V as "fully synthetic", as Castrol and shamefully now Mobil 1 are doing. The UK should do the same. I believe the court case was in the USA.

It is now knowing what oils are "pure" synthetic with no mineral oil whatsoever in the make up. What are they? What makes and brands?

Reply to
Scribe