1300 for 90K service (independent auto shop)

The $814 charge sounds a lot more reasonable!

Reply to
Ray O

Hi Ray: In a tight spot you will have better luck using fuel line like I mentioned IMHO, because it is reinforced with fibers woven in it, like radiator hose (if you cut it in half you can see). If you use vacuum line it is just rubber with no reinforcement, the walls being so thin with no reinforcement that it has a tenancy to kink easily in a sharp bend. I've tried both, and the fuel line has done better for us in all situations. Some replacement plugs are not OEM and you can gap any plug as long as you don't damage the center electrode or porcelain. Use the gap tool only on the outer electrode and bend to specs (you need the type tool that uses the base of the outer electrode as the leverage point. Most damage is done by not using the correct tool (some people try screwdrivers, ect.) and prying on the outer electrode using the center as a screwdriver fulcrum, and that method as you mention will definitely cause damage.

Reply to
user

It always pays to shop.

Reply to
user

I'll have to try the fuel line the next time I have to change spark plugs in a tight spot.

I checked on gapping platinum-tipped spark plugs, and the factory repair manual says not to adjust the gap on used spark plugs - I stand corrected!

Reply to
Ray O