1985 corolla, 4A-c engine, RWD, 2BBL carb is running way too rich

My 1985 corolla with 4A-c engine, federal emissions, Rear wheel drive, 2 barrel carburetor is running very rich, even at idle. This car used to run lean, and getting to much fuel to the engine is a very recent problem. The fuel level is right in the middle of the float bowl sight glass, so I don't think it is the float or needle valve. I recently did run Sea Foam fuel treatment in the tank for the first time (in the concentration recommended on the can), I don't know if that has anything to do with this problem. The choke is operating properly. The AAP functions and there is no fuel in its vacuum line.

The car is driveable if I disconnect the 3/8" vacuum hose that goes up the the HIC that is bolted onto the air cleaner, and I screwed in the pilot mixture screw all the way. In other words, I introduced a MASSIVE vacuum leak just to compensate for this rich condition, so it is getting way too much fuel. The car drove reasonably well like this, even at 65mph. I only drove it about 40 miles since this problem developed,it seems to be running rich at all engine conditions.

The manual says when it's running rich it could be the "power valve" which is some spring loaded carburetor part. What does the "power valve" do, and could it cause it to run rich even at idle?

What else could cause it to run rich, even at idle?

Ladies and gentlemen, thanks in advance for the suggestions!

-Mark Lum

Posted using QuadSucker/News,
... the ultimate tool for newsgroup downloading!-----------------------------------------------------------
Reply to
pretty

user

The choke is pulling off mechanically, and the vacuum operated pull off device holds it wide open, so that isn't the problem. I agree, that that's definitely the first thing to check, though.

I don't understand enough about how the carb works to know what would cause it to be running very rich, even at idle. Any other ideas? Thanks for the input!

-Mark Lum

Reply to
Mark Lum

The only thing that comes to mind is maybe the needle and seat valve is not sealing and flooding the engine. Maybe you have a gasket failure between either the air horn and throttle body, or the throttle body and the base.

Reply to
user