1987 Corolla won't idle.

Hey,

One day it was running fine, the next day when I went to start it up to go out it wouldn't idle.

I usually have to let him warm up abit then kick down on the accelerator to do the choke, (it has an auto-choke) after that it usually goes into low revs and is ready to drive. But this time when I did that, the engine chugged at low revs then just died on me, now I can't get it to idle at all, it just keeps dying on me. Also when this first happened, I lifted the bonnet to find that both my radiator fans are not running at all, and I can't seem to get them to run.

Any idea on how to fix this before I run it down to a mechanic?

Cheers.

Reply to
seraphicness

Check to make sure that the choke is setting. Remove the air filter housing so that you can look down into the top of the carburetor. Set the choke by depressing the throttle pedal all the way to the floor once and releasing the pedal. The butterfly valve in the carburetor should be closed in the horizontal position and you should not be able to see the jets protruding into the venturis. If the buttery valve is open and you can see down into the carburetor, the choke is not setting.

If you have 2 electric radiator fans, one is for the AC and one is for the engine coolant. The radiator fans should not run until the coolant reaches a certain temperature. If you want to confirm whether they work or not, unplug the connection to them and they should run. Make sure your hands and any loose clothing are not where they will be caught in the fans. Even if the fans are not operating properly, they would not cause the idle problem.

Reply to
Ray O

I'm no expert, but according to the factory manual for the 1986 4-door version, which should be almost identical, the problem could be the choke, needle valve, a vacuum hose leak, or a fuel cut solenoid valve.

In my case the problem was the fuel cut solenoid valve because the tiny o-ring that went over its tip had crumbled and gotten into the float valve (not a factory original one -- lacked a filter screen). If the choke is opening normally (i.e., the engine won't idle even when you stick a screwdriver in the carb throat to hold open the choke

-- make sure it's big enough that it can't fall in), this may be your problem, too. But I'd also check the vacuum hoses going to the choke diaphram to see that there are no leaks (you may have to cover some of the fittings when doing this).

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Reply to
Enorym

The 2 electric fans in the OP's car serve different functions and are not controlled by the same switch.

One fan is controlled by coolant temperature (the switch is known as bi-metallic, not biometallic) and the other is controlled by the air conditioner circuit.

The control circuits for these fans are pretty reliable and do not always go bad.

Reply to
Ray O

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...> Usualy when its both fans not working...its the Temprature Fan Switch

car serve different functions and are not

Reply to
Enorym

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...> Usualy when its both fans not working...its the Temprature Fan Switch

car serve different functions and are not

Reply to
Enorym

If you are saying that a bad cooling fan control switch is the reason most cooling fans do not come on, then I agree. If you are saying that all cooling fan control switches go bad all the time, then I repsectfully disagree.

AC installation rates on all Corollas sold in the U.S. in 1987 was greater than 50%, probably in the neighborhood of 75%. Regional preferences obviously made a big difference. AC installation rates in the southern U.S. was well over 90%, while it was closer to 55 ~ 60% in the Boston Region's sales area.

Reply to
Ray O

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@k78g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

that a bad cooling fan control switch is the reason most

Reply to
Enorym
1987 Corolla won't idle. Group: alt.autos.toyota Date: Sat, Jan 27, 2007, 8:16pm (EST-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Hey, One day it was running fine, the next day when I went to start it up to go out it wouldn't idle. I usually have to let him warm up abit then kick down on the accelerator to do the choke, (it has an auto-choke) after that it usually goes into low revs and is ready to drive. But this time when I did that, the engine chugged at low revs then just died on me, now I can't get it to idle at all, it just keeps dying on me. Also when this first happened, I lifted the bonnet to find that both my radiator fans are not running at all, and I can't seem to get them to run. Any idea on how to fix this before I run it down to a mechanic? Cheers.

Honey, I miss my '87 Corolla. Gorgeous, Blue. I need reliable, she always started up great, idled fine...took great care of her. She took a huge hit at 5 years old, came back fine. At the end, got fussy when wet...started up, warmed up, ran fine, stop at a light, oh, damn. Stalled, no matter what we did. I spent a lot to keep her going. But she would not not go any further till she decides to go. She got risky, blocking traffic, I did a lot, spent a lot, but can't take chances here...maybe you can. Had to let her go in 2002 for My 2003 Corolla. Maybe it's time.

Reply to
mmward