1989 cressida GLX transmission woes.

Any guesses on this problem? Engine revs, no movement in any gear.If I turn engine off then on again it might go a few feet.It did this a few months ago and I pulled into garage and checked oil,which was ok, then started engine again and it worked and kept working til now. I am guessing some sort of blockage. Since I have had this car it would not change out of first For a few blocks unless I took revs over 4000 after which it would act normally for the rest of the day. Any ideas on where blockage would be,solenoids etc.recently I changed filter and oil in sump, might do it again tomorrow. I have had head off a few times recently,which entails removing radiator, may be some dirt, bugs or something got in the oil portion of the radiator core.

Reply to
F Murtz

Sounds like a transmission problem. Take it to a local tranny shop they should have you running in no time.

Reply to
Airport Shuttle

I'm scratching my head at the idea of removing the head and any relationship with the transmission.

I'm thinking there is the distinct probability that the wrong fluid is in the transmission, or it is simply worn out because you take it to over 4k on the tach to force a shift. Either way, the car is 22 years old, and the transmission has served you well. Consider the idea that you might need a new one.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

When you remove the head you have to remove the radiator and the transmission is cooled through it. and I left the radiator on the ground for a few weeks with the hose connections open

Reply to
F Murtz

What was the condition of the ATF the last time you changed it? Was there a lot of sludge in the bottom of the pan?

With the car properly supported on jack stands and with the engine off, does the transmission linkage move properly when you move the shift lever?

I suspect that there is a buildup of sludge in the valve body and that the clutch packs are just worn out.

For a proper diagnosis, install a set of transmission pressure gauges to check pump pressures.

Reply to
Ray O

No problem there. All the radiator does is gives the fluid a place to go that's outside of the transmission. The cavity that the transmission fluid travels through will immediately fill as soon as the fluid begins to flow.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland