1989 MR2 Oil Change

Does any body know an easy way to get the oil filter off this car? Every time I've done it that has been the hardest part.

Reply to
PMontalvo6

Why, yes, it certainly is! Not only is the filter in tough place to begin with, the damn engine is sideways to boot!

If you don't have an old belt, go and buy a cheap leather belt. Wrap the belt around the filter so that when you pull the belt, it will loosen the filter. If you wrap it enogh times you can just pull and it will either come out with the belt or fall to the ground.

Reply to
Hachiroku

My Toyota dealer (and I suppose, any competent auto parts store) has a oil filter cup that fits on the end of the filter and attaches to a ratchet extension. It's a snap to remove the filter.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Most likely you are tightening the filter too tightly, when you install a new filter, if you can not remove it with a filter tool.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The cup wrenches work like a charm, except for one _little_ detail you need to be aware of before you buy it - there are dozens of different sizes of cup wrench for the different diameters and patterns of gripping flutes on the bottom of the filter can, they are not standardized between brands.

Go to the parts store and get your replacement oil filter and the cup wrench that fits, but you may have trouble getting off the old oil filter with the cup wrench if it's a different brand.

They do make a 'universal cup wrench' that has sliding teeth on arms (think a kitchen jar lid remover gizmo from the '50's) but they are meant for removal of old filters only. The teeth will scar the filter can to the point it may puncture, or the scars could rust through the steel of a new filter and leak before the next filter change.

There's also a premade strap wrench that has a nylon belt on an arm, they work in tight spots but not nearly as easy as the cup style. They'll only break it loose or tighten the new one, you still need to get an arm in there to remove/replace the filter.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I think perhaps the OP is a little more concerned with the *location* of the filter, more than what to use. My take, anyway.

I have a similar engine in my "Hachiroku" and the location of the filter is a Biotch in a Longitudinally mounted postion, let alone transverse and stuffed into a tiny engine bay in the rear of the car!

My take, anyway!

Reply to
Hachiroku

He has a similar engine to what's in my GTS, and you can put the damn filters on *FINGER* tight, and when you go to take it off it's like King Kong put the damn thing on!

Reply to
Hachiroku

The sales manager at one of the dealers I used to call on raced one in showroom stock. His "expert race-trained mechanic" changed the oil prior to a race, and double-gasketed the oil filter. The oil spewing out got on the exhaust and caught fire, and a photographer that attends races to take pictures to sell to the drivers got a beautiful photo of the car head on with flames coming out from the back half of the car.

The sales manager was screaming lawsuits unless Toyota replaced his car, so I drove up to the dealership, had the service department put it up on a rack. With the service manager, dealer principal, and sales manager standing there, I pointed out the oil all over the under carriage, and was able to remove the aftermarket oil filter without any tools. Of course no oil came out, but 2 aftermarket oil filter gaskets did come off.

Reply to
Ray O

Why in hell would someone who works for Toyota use anything but Toyota filters?

Or anyone else for that matter?

Reply to
Hachiroku

And, uh, considering your territory, which one would that be? :)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Good question, especially since the service and parts department at the dealership where he worked was one of the better ones in the Boston metro area.

Reply to
Ray O

I'll protect the names of the guilty but it wasn't in western MA ;-)

Over the years in New England, I had District 3 (MA west of 495 and north of the Mass Pike, northern NH and VT); then after re-districting, the new District 3 (all of MA west of 495 and northern RI), and District 1 (Boston metro inside 495) as a district service manager. I had District 3 as a District Manager, and the entire Boston Region (RI, MA, NH, VT, & ME) as a service development consultant.

Reply to
Ray O

Sure you aren't a Politician? You sure got on your bike fast!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Naw, I'd rather not burn any bridges (no pun intended) ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

He's right with the thing about tightening the oil filter finger tight. When you try to get your arm in their it is very hard to take off. The tools don't really fit cause there is hardly any room.

Reply to
PMontalvo6