1992 toyota continally revs high in park and neutral

Hi, i have a 1992 toyota corolla 4 dr, 4 cyclinder, with 200k+ mi., when i start the engine in park the engine just starts to rev really high, i don?t have an rpm meter, but it seem very high like 4-5 rpms. When i put it in reverse or drive it still has this continous accelerating motion, and it makes it hard for the car to come to a stop. Now my pads are mostly worn out and when i brake it?s just hitting metal. Can someone please helpe me with this problem. and tell me specifically what the problem is....please reply and ask me if you need to know more information to help me out....thanks...

Reply to
corollaissue

Does the high engine speed happen just while the engine is warming up or does it happen all the time?

There are some things you can check: Check to make sure there is nothing stuck under the throttle pedal, like a floor mat or loose debris. Check under the hood to make sure the throttle linkage returns all the way to the idle position. Check for holes, cracks, gaps, etc. in the black plastic snorkel between the air filter housing and the throttle body. Check to make sure the coolant temperature sender is plugged in.

Reply to
Ray O