1993 Toyota Corolla Starting Problem

To all Toyota gurus,

I own a 1993 Toyota Corolla, 1.8L automatic with 96000 miles. I believe I have a starter or solenoid problem. Sometimes it will turn over and sometimes not. There is no clicking noise, and the car will eventually start although it may take 3-8 turns of the key to do so.

Thought it might be the battery (it tested marginal), so replaced it. The problem continues with a new battery.

Do I have a starter or starter solenoid problem? If the answer is yes, does anyone know the correct starter model for this car, 1.0kw or

1.4kw?

Nancy

Reply to
JazzzzyLady

You may or may not have a starter or starter solenoid problem. A more likely cause are worn contacts in the starter relay. It is possible to change just the contacts.

As far as the correct starter for your car, if it is a U.S. model with "weatherguard" or "cold kit" then it is the 1.4kw starter. Some models without cold kits may have been sold in the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Guam, & Hawaii.

Reply to
Ray O

Check all your cable and connection to the starter. Most likely its the starter solenoid contacts that are worn. Most replace the entire starter. Some have replaced the worn contacts in the starter. If you able to work on starter, check if dealer stocks the contact, there some online places that sell generic replacement contacts. There is also brushes for the motor that wear, that may need replacement.

Reply to
jjjsan