"1995 Toyota Corolla"

Hi Folks!

Say, I just bought a "Toy" today discovered it from craigslists here in Minnesota from a wholesaler/independent dealer for $2,250.00 which I think it was a great looking car teal color great shape new tires but has

1,142xxx miles on it...now, I double check everything no leaks, ac works, heat, new tires/wheels...pretty much of electrical works that I noticed, then test drive for 1 hour it runs great! Then I check under the hood seems clean, but I noticed the manifold muffler had a crack in the middle of it that I could see through the heatshield holes which i verified the dealer, is it important/expensive to have it fix/change to a new one and how soon do I have to have-it-done????...I talk him down to 1,500 for it then 1,6 nogo, 1,7, nogo, 1,8, 1,9 still did'nt go for it....got to 2,000 dollars...is that a deal you think? I've noticed also that the steering wheel does'nt lock when park...is that how it supposed to be? Do I have to buy a steering lock bar for it?....once it was bought anyways...we (my brother's) ask where was the car/owner from???? nobody knew...we opened the trunk where the spare tire was...there was walnuts here in there...we suspected it was from somewhere south...did more investigation to where this car was...opened up the back rest to see if it flips open to see if just incase if it's one of those compartment you could flip open the backseat...finally we found a reciept 1 from walmart 2002, gas station 2003, walmart 2004, and a "Alabama College Library Card" !!!! where else walnuts would be coming from huh?

Question: 1. Upon opening trunk notice, there were walnuts and receipts not known to be from Minnesota, should I be concerned if this car can withstand winter weather? and how would I know, looking under the hood what should I looking for??

  1. Steering wheel does not lock when key is out of the ignition?

  1. The crack on the Manifold muffler, would it effect the performance/engine?

Comment: Distinguishing marks/spots no rust inside door panels, foot panels and wheel wells under the car not found on vehicle, skeptical about knowing rust spots in typical Minnesota weather!

Reply to
davi

The car should be able to withstand winter weather if the coolant is less than 2 years old and mixed properly, if the engine oil has been changed routinely, and if the battery and battery connections are good.

The key may be worn, make sure you turn it to the lock position before puling it out.

I'm not sure what you mean by "manifold muffler" but if you mean the exhaust manifold, the car may not pass emissions tests, and fumes may get into the passenger compartment. I'd get it fixed sooner rather than later.

I wouldn't worry about a lack of rust!

Reply to
Ray O

I'm not sure how far 1,142xxx miles is. I'll assume that it's not over a million as it appears. Depending upon the exact location and length of the crack, and the thickness of the manifold, it may be possible to repair it, maybe even in place. Automotive machine shops drill out both ends of the crack to keep it from growing and use overlapping and interlocked tapered threaded cast iron pins to fill the crack.

There's probablya bunch of exhaust manifolds in the salvage yards, or check eBay! Alabama. How far is that from New Orleans? Make sure the car wasn't flooded with sea water!

Reply to
Fishface

I would avoid a 1995 car with over a million miles on it. Our '95 Prizm has about 220,000 miles on it and I thought that was a lot!

Reply to
Truckdude

Thnks fellas for responding, Here I am just wondering/investigating tryin find out how far it was from New Orleans.....you think it's worth finding/carfaxing history of the car?? I meant 141,000 miles, SEA WATER?

Reply to
davi

Thnks fellas for responding, Here I am just wondering Was'nt to sure how far the car from Alabama to New orleans, good thing we did some Forensic investigation with proof of walnuts and receipts (should of done that before buying!) but it's cheap, I guess just hoping last through the winter here in Minnesota...Do you think I should carfax it? kinda too late since i have the car but sure nice to know the history of it...maybe I could resell it?

Reply to
davi

If the car runs fine, just take care of the relatively minor problems and enjoy it!

Reply to
Ray O

Resell value on such a car would be so low I personally am just going to be driving mine until it dies. At over 30 miles per gallon it's easily affordable as someone's second mode of transportation or main form of transportation for a single guy such as myself. I'm especially encouraged to keep it for the simple fact that it is in great shape other then the paint fading in spots...wouldn't mind finding some good touchup paint for that though.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

Ha, I thought the 141,000 that I have on my prizm was a lot. I just got back from a trip from Fort Collins CO back to Wichita KS and my baby performed flawlessly. I look forward to being able to brag that I have the 220K that you have in about 7 years.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity