1997 Corolla center console bulb

I just had the unfortunate experience of trying to replace the center console bulb (indicates which gear the car is in) on my '97 Corolla.

-Removed the rear console (not awful, could have been easier).

-Removed the lower control panel (with the cigarette lighter in it), the ash tray, the little storage box above the ash tray

-Partially removed the lower finish panel, below the steering column (can't get to that elusive last screw on the left bottom)

-Partially removed the glove box, then realized I could get to the screw which it partially covered without removing it (the screw holds the right side of the center console).

Now I can't get the center console out because the panel below the steering column, and the panel below the glove box won't come off.

I don't think I can change the bulb without removing the center console.

Any thoughts? It's going to be a loud drive to work tomorrow if I can't get those panels back on...

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Here's a follow-up for the next poor SOB who tries this.

Preamble: From the Haynes manual, it looks like 1993-1997 models are of one design, as far as the internal panels go, and 1998+ are *different*. There is another message on this group where the author describes changing the bulb on his 1998, and it should be noted that earlier models are very labour intensive.

Basically, the following things need to be removed in order to remove the center consol (the panel which covers the gear selector or shifter). As far as I can tell, the center consol needs to be removed in order to change the bulb:

-Both left and right door scuff plates

-Lower finish panel (below steering column)

-Glove box assembly (watch the door's stop on the right-hand side. I snaped mine off and I'm not really inclined to replace it. Not a huge deal).

-Center cluster finish lower panel (which includes ash tray and cigarette lighter)

-Storage compartment which is covered by the center cluster finish lower panel

-Rear console (good luck getting it over the e-brake)

I have no training in automotive repair although I am a tool and die maker apprentice, so I have some experience with a wrench. Start to finish took about 3.5hours.

Oh yeah, and the stupid bulb cost $1.03 (Canadian dollars, with tax).

The Haynes manual can be misleading/wrong as far as removing the panels so you have to have your brain in gear to get through this little exercise.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.