1997 Legacy Outback Wagon: Heated seats no longer heat

Not sure when they stopped working but my wife REALLY misses her heated seats. :-(

So I broke out our Haynes manual and found that they have NO information on the winter package, which includes the heated seats. I checked all the fuses I could find (a box under the hood, one box above the clutch, and a couple "loose" under the steering column) and they all tested good.

Any idea what to check next? Any place I can find schematics and information for the winter package?

Thanks!

Reply to
Franklin Bowen

I would unplug the heating element under the seat and check to see if voltage was making it that far. If there is voltage at the plug then most likely the element in the seat is toast. No voltage at the seat then maybe the switch is bad. Another good place to test the circuit. Don't think you have the side impact airbags but if you do, don't mess with any of the yellow connectors under the seat.

Reply to
johninky

Sometimes the fusebox for the added winter items is below the existing fuse box by your left knee. You need to look behind the dash trim panel, its awkward but may be there.

Reply to
John

Thanks for the replies John & Johninky!

I thought it unlikely that BOTH heaters would go out at the same time. Besides, the lights on the console switches did not even come on!

I pulled out the dash below the steering column and did find the additional small fuse box for the heated seats and did measure +12 there. So I pulled the center console panel out (a lot easier than I thought) and someone had simply forgotten to plug the wires back into the switches! Grrrrrrr!

So, problem fixed. Thanks again for the replies.

Reply to
Franklin Bowen

What other fuses are in there, I also have the winter package and the rear defogger stopped working. I did find a fuse under the hood that was ok. 2002 Outback. Thanks Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Same place

Reply to