2000 4Runner HVAC won't turn off

Anyone have this problem. In the limited series the electronic HVAC control, the off button does not work. Sometimes it does but most of the time it doesn't . All other buttons work except perhaps the defrost butten which is intermittant.

Anyone know what the problem is. I tried pulling the negative bat cable to reset the unit but it didn't work. Is there a key sequence to reset the unit. I think the controller may be confused. I do not think it is a bad button.

Thanks for any replies.

Vito

Reply to
Uncle_vito

I believe that the control buttons are part of the HVAC controller. If you are electronically inclined, you can try pulling the controller and check to see if you can see any loose connections for the switch.

Reply to
Ray O

That is possible, but vehicles with automatic climate control have an off button that basically shuts everything down. I thought the OP was talking about the off button on an automatic system.

Reply to
Ray O

Could be, but in our Avalon, Sequoia, and last 2 LS, the off button overrides the other buttons.

Reply to
Ray O

Yes, the OFF button. It overrides everything. You push the OFF and all goes OFF. When the vehicle was newer that was the way it worked. Now the button is intermittant. You press it and nothing happens.

I think I will look at the wiring connections on the back of the switch and mate and demate all cable ends I can find. Could be an oxidized connection. All other buttons work fine except for the DEFROST button which is intermittant also. If I need to hit DEFROST, sometimes the button will not turn it on and sometimes it will not turn it off (sign of intermittant switch since the ON/OFF here is a toggle)

Thanks for thinking about this folks!

Vito

Reply to
Uncle_vito