2003 Corolla Check Engine Light

My Corolla has the check engine light on. The gas cap was loose, so I tightened it and the light remains on. Assuming that was the problem, how long does it take for the computer to figure out the gas cap is on and tight?

Reply to
offen rong

Remove the negative battery cable. Leave it off for several minutes. Re-connect it, then start the car.

If the light comes back on, you'll have to check the codes to see what's wrong. If the light doesn't come back on, you'll have to redo your radio presets.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

It will take at least 2 trips to clear the check engine light. A trip is starting the engine from cold and driving it until the engine has reached operating temperature.

Another posted suggested removing the negative battery cable. This also works but you will have to reset your radio stations and clock.

Reply to
Ray O

If the gas cap was the trouble -- this is the odds-on favorite, by the way -- then it will eventually go out by itself.

You can go to an AutoZone Parts Store, and they will connect the scan tool and reset the light for free. This will verify that the gas cap is the trouble.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
Whatsup

The light was still on after numerous start and stops of the engine and driving about 40 miles, so I removed the negative lead on the battery for about 15 minutes, reconnected, and the light went out. I drove about 2 miles and the light remained out. If it comes on again, I'll drop by the Toyota dealer. The engine has run fine during this time, and no smoking from the exhaust or any other symptons. Thanks for all the tips on what to do.

Reply to
offen rong