2004 RAV4 AWD tire rotation - confused as to how often

I have been rotating my tires at every oil change/service (5000 miles) as directed in the toyota manual. However today when I took it into service at Midas, they told me thats too often...that the tires will never have a chance to wear on one side before they are switched.

They claim that although toyota lists the rotatation at every 5000 miles, I should do it every 7500-10k miles...and that is what the tire manufacture wants.

So, I am a little confused...when exactly should I rotate the tires?

Thanks

Reply to
dglashow

I think it was snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com who stated:

Goodyear might know a little about this; from their site:

Your vehicle's owner's manual will specify the proper rotation pattern and schedule for your vehicle. If there is no specific schedule specified a good rule of thumb is to rotate your tires every 6,000 to

8,000 miles.

There are probably other tire manufactures that have something to say about it, but I stopped at the first one . . . .

-Don (rotating every 5k, himself)

Reply to
Don Fearn

Then where would they wear ? I think they still wear alright. Might be too soon though. My tireshop always says 6K

Reply to
RT

I suspect that Toyota knows more about Toyotas than Midas does, so I would follow Toyota's recommendation before I followed some person at Midas' recommendation.

Reply to
Ray O

I agree with Ray. You confusion arises from believing Midas gave you good advice. I've been to Midas once. They replaced a muffler and afterward I had a new rattle. I crawled under the car myself and bent the exhaust hanger away from the frame marveling that they couldn't have checked this when they did the installation. The other thing I hear about Midas is that their lifetime free replacement warranty on brakes is a gimmick that covers only the inexpensive pads and not the expensive labor. Rotating your tires at 5,000 miles when you change the oil is a good idea, IMHO. The whole idea is to prevent uneven tire wear, not give it a chance to develop first. If the suspension components are in good condition, uneven tire wear is minimized and some suggest never rotating the tires just replacing two at a time, but I like having all four tires wearing equally, and apparently Toyota agrees.

Reply to
nospampls2002

At the risk of becoming the recipient of a minor flame, I would suggest...

Never.

With one exception - I buy tires in sets of two for my 2WD cars/trucks. I put the new tires on the front and rotate the old ones to the same side rear if needed. This regardless of front or rear wheel drive.

With my 63 Willys 4WD wagon I leave 'em where they are until they wear out. I've had too many oddball problems caused by out of balance tires with those big knobby skins when I rotate them.

Reply to
Mike Harris