Tire Rotation

Last February, I replaced my Goodyear Eagles on my 99 Intrepid with Michelin Hydroedge tires. Since then, I have driven about 5,000 kilometers or about

3,000 miles. I had some routine service done at my Chrysler dealership which included rotation of the tires. Yesterday, I noticed a slight vibration when driving on the highway at about 100 km/hour or 60 mph. I took the car to the tire dealer where I purchased the Michelins and was advised all four tires were out of balance and should be routinely re-balanced every 20,000 km or 15,000 miles (every second rotation) whether there is a vibration or not.

I have owned cars for 35 years and haven't had this mentioned to me. The tire dealer was shocked I was unaware of this 'rule' of tire care. I drive about 12,000 miles a year, mostly in the city and am very easy on the car. Is there someone who can agree or disagree with the comments of the tire dealer? Do ultra premium tires have to be re-balanced every second rotation?

Reply to
Arthur Alspector

No. I have about 17,000 miles on my hydroedge tires on a Chrysler mini-van and they are still perfect. I have not yet rotated them yet, but will next spring after the show tires come off. Be sure to check that they did not switch sides since these tires are directional.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Yes, tires do need to be rebalanced as they wear. I'm not sure about that interval (15000 miles), I just get 'em rebalaced when I notice a problem. If you do very little highway driving, you may never notice.

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Many thanks for your replies..... Arthur

Reply to
Arthur Alspector