2004 Toyota Sienna AC problems and Strut problems

Recently, when the AC runs it makes a grinding noise. The Van has 67K miles on it and these are 90% easy driving highway miles. I know this is not good. I also know it is out of warranty. I am also aware that this is becoming an issue on the internet, as I found information on a Toyota issued Technical Service Bulletin (AC003-05) that discusses these problems and recommends improvements. My Toyota dealer in Tampa Florida's service department is not easy to deal with to say the least and I am beginning to worry about the issues that will result from not getting this taken care of as I have read two stories online now

that describe this same problem. What can I do? How many others out there have this issue? What is Toyota prepared to do, if anything to take care of this as it basically means replacing the entire system if there is metal flying around in there. I have worked on engines since I was a child, I am going on 40 now, I know metal on metal when I hear it. Any comments?

I would love to get a thread started here if there is any commonality out there.

And....

I was told a month ago while replacing my front tires that both of my front struts were blown as well (you can sort of tell with the rattling and drifting and that the van no longer sits evenly on a flat surface). Same

2004 Sienna, with 67000 miles on it. Both problems started about 2 thousand miles ago.

Thanks

Len from Tampa

Reply to
len

> that describe this same problem. What can I do? I would find another Toyota dealer or independent shop with a service department that you are comfortable with or fix it yourself.

How many others out there

I doubt if Toyota will do anything if your vehicle is out of warranty, but if you are a good customer at a Toyota dealer's service department, they may try to go to bat for you. On the other hand, if you have never been there, your chances of getting a good will repair are not that great.

If you have the struts replaced at a Toyota dealer, you will have a lifetime warranty on parts and labor for the struts.

Reply to
Ray O

Go to your dealer and have them check for TSB AC003-05, A/C compressor Durability Improvement.

"To improve the durability of repairs on 2004-2005 model year Sienna vehicles a new suction tube and in-line filter system is now available. Please follow the procedures in this bulletin if the compressor is being replaced because of a noise concern and/or has seized."

I don't know if this is applicable to your situation, but if it were me I'd ask about it.

You might also visit The Sienna Club:

It is a great resource of information about the Sienna.

Good luck.

Reply to
dbu`

on it and these are 90% easy driving highway miles.

that this is becoming an issue on the internet, as I

that discusses these problems and recommends

easy to deal with to say the least and I am beginning

as I have read two stories online now

describe this same problem. What > can I do? How many others out there have this issue? What is Toyota preparedto do, if anything to take care of this as it > basically means replacing the entire system if there is metal flying around inthere. I have worked on engines since I was a > child, I am going on 40 now, I know metal on metal when I hear it.>

If "when the AC runs it makes a grinding noise" means that you hear a problem with the a/c but it actually is still working then your compressor has not done anything like had a catastrophic failure YET.

It would be a very good idea to have it checked and or repaired before something like that has done all the damage mentioned in your link.

BTW: any modern car that I can think of that had a catastrophic compressor failure would need to have basically the same repair work done.

struts were blown as well (you can sort of tell with

surface). Same 2004 Sienna, with 67000 miles on it.

Reply to
Danny G.