2006 Sienna fuel filler question

I have a 2006 Toyota Sienna (canadian model). After picking it up from an oil change at local garage I noticed a gas smell in the cabin. When I went to fill it up I suspected that one part is missing from the filler neck. Under the gas cap shouldn't there be a spring-like door that opens when it pushed by fuel pump. Could someone please check their Siennas 2004-2010 and see if the part exists on their vans?

Reply to
Vadim
*********** There is no spring-like door in the fuel filler neck under the gas cap because it is not necessary for sealing the fuel system. The fuel system is sealed by the gas cap itself, which should be tightened until you hear it clicking.

The emissions control system monitors vapor pressure build-up in the fuel tank, and if there is a leak in the fuel tank, pressure will not build up, so the on-board would illuminate the check engine light. For example, if the gas cap is not replaced or tightened properly, or if the gas cap is faulty, the check engine light would come on until the condition is corrected.

Bottom line, if you do not have a check engine light illuminated, you probably do not have a fuel tank vapor leak.

Is the gas smell in the cabin still present?

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
Vadim

It sounds like you are smelling oil that has dripped on the exhaust pipe when the oil filter oil filter was removed, or it is possible that the oil filter is leaking on to the exhaust pipe.

With the van on level ground, check your oil level to make sure that there is the correct amount of oil in the crankcase. While the engine is cold, check the oil filter under the front exhaust manifold and see if there is oil seeping out. Wipe any spilled oil with a paper towel, put the oily paper towel in an airtight bag, and dispose of in a container outside the house. If oil is seeping out of the base of the oil filter, try tightening it by turning it clockwise with your bare hands. If the oil filter is tightened properly, you should not be able to twist it any tighter with your bare hands.

If the oil filter is tightened properly and still leaking from the base of the oil filter, possible causes are incorrect oil filter; the gasket from the previous oil filter was stuck to the engine and not removed so there are double gaskets when there should be only one, or the new filter might be missing a gasket. Problems with the oil filter gasket are more likely with a non-Toyota filter than with a Toyota filter.

Reply to
Ray O