2TZ-FE engine miss.

Hi all, I have an engine miss under very light acceleration in my '91 Previa/Estima/Tarago,2TZ-FE, 110'000 kms. It'll miss at any speed, in any gear, moreso when the engine is at operating temperature. The miss is sometimes bad enough to upset the gear change (auto) New plugs & leads, don't want to get too carried away spending money to replace good parts. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Greg.

Reply to
Greg

Are you saying that you changed plugs and leads and still have miss? when's the last time the dist cap and rotor was replaced.

Remove dist cap and examine for any carbon burns, cracks, wear, etc.

Reply to
jjjsan

Yes, new leads and plugs. I should have checked the diz. at the time. The engine is a real PITA to get at. Greg.

Reply to
Greg

Broken wire to the TPS if not the plug wires

Reply to
No one here

Would a broken wire to the TPS not cause the engine check light to come on? I've heard this is a common fault with these vehicles. Is is easy to check the loom either visually or with a meter? I believe that this condition is usually caused by something rubbing through the cables.

Thanks, Greg.

Reply to
Greg

Yes Greg, no light and it will behave funny, almost like a miss. And sometimes the tranny shift will be funny or not at all. The wire that breaks is about 2" from the TPS connector. Just peel back the sheath and tug on the wires, a broken one will pull right out. Real common, as the engine flexes over time, the wire breaks.

Reply to
No one here

Thanks, I'll check it out over the weekend and post results.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Posting from home with google :-(

Thanks for the suggestion, ECU code showed 41 (tps). I tested the wiring from the ECU to the TPS, and one cable was dead, I replace the cable, cleared the codes, and all is well. The van now runs smoother (no missing) and the trans. is changing a lot better (not early shifting through the gears). Is this likely to improve my gas milage? I currently get about 5km per litre (that's shit, about 350K on a full 70L tank). If not, what else could cause the poor fuel efficiency?

TIA Greg.

Reply to
Greg

A transmission that shifts improperly can certainly hurt fuel mileage. Why don't you check a few tankfuls and see what you get?

Reply to
Ray O

Good deal Greg, it shoudl help the mileage quite a bit.

Reply to
Liberals are leaches