Engine miss, RR 1990 3.9l

Annoying miss. 1990 RR - 3.9litre

I have this intermittent engine miss. May happen once a day over a total of

80 kilometers of travelling. Feels like a 80% loss of power. Engine will always keep running and not stall. If I stop the vehicle, the engine idles nicely and I can rev freely up to [say] 5000rpms. If I drive away then the bad missing will still be there. Keep driving and it appears to go away within a few minutes of starting. Mechanic cannot find the cause; have swapped out the Hot Wire Air Flow Sensor, Computer, Throttle Position Sensor, Water Temp and Fuel Temperature sensors have been checked, Spark Plugs and leads are new, new Petrol Filter and Air Filter.

Also at times there can be a very slight miss around 2000rpms in top gear on a level road, it to can disappear within 30 seconds of starting.

Your comments please?

Reply to
Milcom Instrumentation

Possibly a tired fuel pump.

The pump is sited in the tank but on the 1990 model you should have an access panel in the boot floor under the carpet.

Muddy

Reply to
Alan Mudd

Tracing in the distributor cap is another potential cause. Clean / New Dizzy and rotor arm my help.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

The message from "Lee_D" contains these words:

whatever you do don't heave the rotor off, turn a slight problem into a disaster, suppposed to break it to get it off, if you pull you seriously cause it to come to bits inside, no recon/repair kit available.

had similar problem after Martin the mad mechanic hit the lambda sensor with a hammer, replaced this and everything O.K again.

Reply to
Warwick Barnes