Rough Idle on a 4.0 liter '92 Explorer

Actually it's more of a cough and it is very minor. It is minor enough that I don't get an engine warning light, and it passed my last state emissions test.

It only happens when in gear and stopped. If I place it in neutral or park, or am driving, I don't feel it. Cold or warm (weather and engine temperature) it's always the same.

I've: replaced the fuel filter replaced the plugs replaced the plug wires checked the timing flushed the injectors

and none of those seemed to make any difference.

I've checked the history of the group and don't think I've seen anyone else with a similiar problem.

Any ideas? Thx in advance.

Reply to
dfwskier

Since it IS an idle problem and you've covered all those bases, cleaning the IAC valve and the MAF couldnt hurt.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic