86 Tercel 4WD wagon Coolant frothy white and going down!?

Can someone tell me if this might just be the head gasket or a cracked head? It has the 1.5 3AC engine and I?ve been watching the coolant for some time. Last time I changed it it was a milky color. There doesn?t appear to be any coolant in the oil and since I changed the oil it is staying very fresh looking. The car does seem to smoke or steam when running. The rear engine cylinder seemed moist and sooty when I changed the plugs about 6 months ago. I haven?t checked it again since the coolant is really going down fast. It is idling very low when first started and stalls at lights but seems to be fine once it is warmed up. It always ran funny since I bought it three years ago and seemd to lack proper maintenance. (Removing a plugged convertor a year and a half ago seemed to solve a lot of the eratic idling with the car. It actually snapped the exhaust pipe off in front of the convertor.)

I do have the abilty to change the head gasket and have extra engines around if the head is cracked but wanted some opinions before I tackle the job.

Troy

Reply to
cubevandude

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >
Does the exhaust have an anti-freeze smell? If one or more of the plugs is wet with coolant, then the head gasket and/or head is bad.

Reply to
Ray O