91 corolla radio presets keep getting lost

My clock was blown so I cut off the connector and hard wired my sirius radio in. My dome light works, my tail lights work, everything works great except my clock loses it's presets every time I turn the car on. Does anyone have any ideas why this is or what specific colored wire would be having an issue?

Thanks, Joel

Reply to
Joel S

In your subject, you mention that the radio loses its presets but in the body of the post, you mention that the clock loses its presets.

It is usually a bad idea to cut connectors off of factory wire harnesses, especially without first referring to a wiring diagram. Hopefully, you at least saved the connector so you can replace it if necessary.

Electronic tuning radios and digital clocks installed by the factory generally have 2 power sources. 1 is always hot to retain memory and 1 is switched with the ignition. If you are losing presets, it is because you connected the wire to the clock or radio that should be always hot to a switched circuit. It should be easy to check with a volt/ohm meter to determine whether a circuit is hot all the time or switched.

Also, when you hard wire an accessory, you should use insulated connectors so that you can remove the accessory for service or remove it from a circuit if it causes problems.

Reply to
Ray O