Toyota Moving to Number 1 Automaker Next Year?

I forgot, NYT requires registration (which did not appear to increase SPAM). Here's the first few paragraphs for those that prefer not to register:

Toyota, With 2006 Forecast, Challenges for Top Car Maker By JAMES BROOKE and MICHELINE MAYNARD Published: December 20, 2005 NAGOYA, Japan -- The Toyota Motor Co. announced Tuesday that it planned to make 9.06 million cars worldwide in 2006, a 10 percent increase that could help it to snatch from General Motors the crown of world's largest carmaker, a title GM has held for over 70 years.

Toyota's springboard would be an expected 9 percent growth in worldwide sales in 2005, a surge that would help make Japan's largest carmaker the world's most profitable. In 2005, Toyota expects to make 8.25 million cars worldwide.

GM has not forecast its 2006 production. It had forecast that it will make

9.1 million cars in 2005, a 2 percent increase over last year. But it also has announced that it will close three American car plants in 2006, part of a plan to close a total 12 plants and shed 30 percent of its North American capacity by 2008.

Toyota, in contrast is expanding in North America. Next year, the company is to open a factory in Texas, capable of making 200,000 pickups a year. The following year, a Subaru plant in Indiana is to start making 100,000 Toyotas a year. In 2008, Toyota is to open a new factory in Ontario with a 100,000 vehicle capacity.

Reply to
DH

Toyotas rock! I just hope they dont start making cars in China. I heard there is talk they may.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Toyota has been assembling cars in China as well as 25 other countries and regions outside of Japan for a while. They currently make the Land Cruiser, Camry, Coaster (small bus), Land Cruiser Prado, Corolla, Vios, and Crown in China and recently announced plans to make the Prius there as well. I believe all of those vehicles are for the Chinese market.

Check out Toyota Motor Corp's web page for info on overseas manufacturing:

Ray O

The operative word here is CARS, not vehicles. There is an average of

19,000,000 vehicles sold in the US annually and over half of all the vehicles sold in the US today are light trucks including SUVs. GM like Ford sells far more light trucks than cars. GM is number one in total vehicle sales, Ford is number two, Chrysler number three and Toyota is fourth. GM sells three times as many vehicles in the US as does Toyota, Ford twice as many and Chrysler half again as many. Indeed Toyota sells more of a single model car, the Camry, than any other manufacture in the US but GM sells far more total cars than Toyota but with different model manes. The number one selling vehicles in the US however is NOT a car, it is a truck, the Ford F150. The number two selling vehicle is the Silverado and the number three is the Dodge Ram truck. GM and Ford sells more Trucks alone than Toyota and Lexus sells cars AND trucks combined. GM and Ford sell almost as many vehicles in the US as ALL of the other manufactures combined.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Toyota is building factories in China and Mexico to make cars and trucks to sell in the US according to 'Automotive News'

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Idiot. "In the US" is not the issue. World-wide is the issue.

Your disingenuous arguments are more than obvious, top poster.

Reply to
dizzy

True enough, Dizzy.

And MONEY is the ultimate issue and the relevant figures are Toyota has a PROFIT of $2.6 billion in Q3 and GM posted a LOSS of $1.6 billion in Q3. It doesn't matter how many cars you sold if you lost money doing it.

Still, maybe GM can turn it around. But when I look at a Rendezvous, I think "not."

Reply to
dh

The press report said "cars" but according to TMC's web site, the 9.06 million figure is Toyota's worldwide production, including cars and trucks, Daihatsu, & Hino.

It seems to me that an apples to apples comparison would be with GM, Ford, Daimler Chrysler's worldwide sales, including cars, trucks, and other brands like Saab, Jaguar, etc. under their umbrella.

Mike Hunt's post above is correct in regards to U.S. sales, however the article that started the thread was referring to worldwide sales.

Reply to
Ray O

This is one way to bring reliability down. This may be the only thing that will save the U.S. auto manufacturers.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Who was it who said a few days ago on here (I think it was 'airline seats')..."Well, we may be losing a small amount on each sale BUT we make it up in volume!..."

Reply to
Gord Beaman