93 4runner clutch fan problems

Hi I have a 93 4runner with the 4 cylinder. I already replaced the clutch fan last year (with a s/h part). It cost me 50$ for the s/h, and would cost me close to 200$ (if I remember correcly) to replace it with a new one.

I would like to replace it with an electric fan on the cheap. I remember reading somewhere at sometime that an electric fan from a Ford Taurus would do.

What you guys recommend? The fan needs to be replaced really soon (its extremelly loud at any RPM).

Thanks

Reply to
mctwist

There are several things to consider when installing an electric fan in place of the engine-driven one.

1) clearance with the existing shroud and engine or grille, depending on where the fan is mounted; 2) direction of air flow for the electric fan; 3) mounting the fan in a manner that does not promote rust at the mounting points; 4) powering the fan; 5) controlling the fan.

A vehicle with a factory electric fan has a temperature sensor mounted in the cooling system to turn the fan on and off.

By the time you get all of this figured out, the cost is going to be equal or higher than a replacement fan clutch.

Reply to
Ray O