93 Corolla

I'll try to keep it simple. 93 Corolla, 1.6L (from 97 Corolla), Auto, original ECM (to my knowledge). Car now seems to have limiter of some kind near 80 MPH or on heavy pull. Engine power cuts for about 1 second, good for few seconds and cuts again. Is this something that Toyota put on those motors that came out after the 93's? The bucking is annoying the hell outta me, especially when tryin to keep from being run over by Jersey-ites. Thanks.

Reply to
Lost in NJ

Hmmm...not that I'm aware of.

All Japanese cars have a home-market fuel cut-off that kicks in at 180KmH, but not here.

Have the codes read at Autozone and report back.

Or, check you fuel filter.

Or, just drive 70MPH. That's 5 MPH over the speed limit...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I don't really think that a 93 corolla is something the manufacturer needs to worry about limiting speed in, get my drift? Now when you say that there seems to be a power limit on "heavy pull", do you mean that the engine will bog down or lose power whenever the pedal is pressed far to the floor, regardless of speed?

Reply to
qslim
93, dude. Autozone won't know what to do with an OBDI car. Probably try to sell you wipers and a fuel filter.
Reply to
qslim

What you are describing makes me think that the ignition coil is failing (text book symptoms). You can do an internal resistance check of it but unfortunately I do not have the specs for it. I don't know how much money a new coil costs for that vehicle, but for the money, I would swap it out for a new one. I would advise you to buy the OEM ignition stuff from Toyota IMHO. Good luck!

Reply to
user

Hachiroku...no check engine light, so OBD1 check would prove fruitless.

Qslim...you're right, they have about as much power as a beer can rolling down a hill. The motor will cut just like I described when in a pull, we'll say 6% grade or better. Especially if I try to get above

60-65 on the hill. Auto Zone will do the OBD1 test, but I've already debunked that in this post.

Ph...Ignition coil, something I hadn't thought of, thank you. I'll try to check that this weekend, or if I feel froggy, I'll change it anyways. It's about $75 aftermarket for the coil and $100 for the ignition module, both located inside the distributor.

Reply to
Lost in NJ

When it bogs down, does it feel like it is misfiring, or is it a pretty smooth and gradual loss of power?

Reply to
qslim

LOL! Yeah, I missed that, even though I have only had one car with OBDII...

Reply to
Hachiroku

It's a sudden and immediate shutdown, but only about 1-2 seconds long, no gradual-ness to this. I followed someone else driving it (after I knew it had the problem, can't blame them) and it was visibly bucking as it went down the road.

Reply to
Lost in NJ

Yeah, I forgot...

But Toyota did start the OBDII early.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I had nearly the same problem with a mazda RX-7 many years ago...turned out to be a partially blocked fuel filter, kept getting worse and worse...new filter fixed it.

Reply to
Gordon Beaman