First time at track...WOW!!

Yesterday was my first time at the track after nearly a year of owning my stang (a 2000 gt). Man what a thrill. Me and my friend (he was a brand new WRX) were the first in line and I was nervous as hell. I staged the car and forgot to look at the lights. Finally launched when I saw his tires spinning. When I got there I was just hoping to get under 15 secs. Well, With a reaction time of nearly 2 seconds I managed a 14.975 at 98.99 mph. If anybody out there is afraid of a WRX, don't worry, he never got in the 14'S.

I did 7 passes and managed a best ET of 14.567 on my second attempt. My best mph was 99.106. That was against an s2000 who I lost to by .190 secs. If I hadn't hit the rev limiter in first I think I could have gotten him.

I am now officially hooked. Next wednesday night is an all Mustang night at Napierville dragway and I'll be there for sure.

Now a question to the experts. At what RPM do you launch? I was launching at

3000 and slowly flooring the throttle. Except when I was up against a supercharged 99+ and was so anxious I floored it... My best 60 was 2.309. Is that any good??

Oh and my car is bone stock so now I have a shot at Modless Wonder :))

Yogi

2000 Silver GT 14.567@96.08 Best mph 99.106
Reply to
Guy

Well the WRX turbo I was against a couple of weeks ago ran 13.924 @ 96.48 mph.

Reply to
Richard

Napierville? That's not that far from here. I'm in Ottawa and I race at Luskville Quebec and the new CCD (1/8th mile track) in Ottawa.

Getting into the 14's is great for stock trim, especially if you were using street tires. I have Mickey Thompson ET Streets so I can launch at over 5000 RPM if the traction is good....that doesn't help you much but keep going to the track and launching at different rpm's. You want to see that 60' under 2 seconds.

One thing you might want to consider right away is a set of frame connectors so you don't bend your car up. You could reduce your ET's a lot by changing your gears to a set of 3.73's or even 4.10's if you feel brave, then a short throw shifter and a set of ET Streets...you are in the 13's for sure!

-- Buzz Haze-Ottawa ON

87 5.0 LX Coupe
Buzz Haze

GTs should be doing 14s bone stock these days. C&D "tested" my model (01GT Auto Vert) at 14.7, my best time in stock trim was 14.48. GUY: for your speed, you can probably get high 13s with that trap. Just out of curiosity, were you peeling into 2nd or third? My best was in stock trim like I said was snipped-for-privacy@96.something (or 97.something, dont remember) mph so you can definitely get faster (mine's auto and convertible so more weight and stuff). Gagan

Reply to
Gagan (mwarrior)

My stock 2000 GT went 14.12. A friend of mine with an 02 went 14.00 also stock. Were at sea level here :)

Jeff

- Mustang Auctions

Reply to
Stangonline.com

tires, tires, tires

Get yourself a good pair of Mickey et Streets or Hoosier quick time pros. You will be able to launch a whole lot better. Frame connectors are a good idea as well before you twist you car all up. Tires and gears will be your biggest gains at this point.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Well the first thing I wanted to do was change the shifter. Was going to do that but a broken axle, a speeding ticket and a complete set of brakes have gone through my budget. The subframes are definatly in the future. Maybe this winter when I put the car away and save all the money for gas :)

As for gears, I want to wait a bit. I do alot of highway so the mpg might suffer.

Not one car I went up against got under 2 seconds on the 60'. The closest was the s2000 at 2.1.

When you say peeling, what do you mean?

Yogi

2000 Silver GT 14.567@96.08 Best mph 99.106
Reply to
Guy

Go through with that. Your transmission will thank you.

-- Paul Black '93 Cobra #2214 Borla Catback, Pro 5.0, K&N, 3.73 Bassani X-pipe w/cats, Jet-hot BBK shorties, Steeda subframe connectors

Reply to
paul-1993

If you go with 3.73's, you won't hardly notice a change. Maybe 20 miles to a tank...

Kate

| > > Napierville? That's not that far from here. I'm in Ottawa and I race at | > > Luskville | > > Quebec and the new CCD (1/8th mile track) in Ottawa. | > >

| > > Getting into the 14's is great for stock trim, especially if you were | > > using street tires. I have Mickey Thompson ET Streets so I can launch | > > at over 5000 RPM if the traction is good....that doesn't help you much | but | > > keep going to the track and launching at different rpm's. You want to | see | > > that 60' under 2 seconds. | > >

| > > One thing you might want to consider right away is a set of frame | > connectors | > > so you don't bend your car up. You could reduce your ET's a lot by | > changing | > > your gears to a set of 3.73's or even 4.10's if you feel brave, then a | > short | > > throw | > > shifter and a set of ET Streets...you are in the 13's for sure! | > >

| > > -- | > > Buzz Haze-Ottawa ON | > > 87 5.0 LX Coupe | > >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate