'96 Tacoma 4x4 Front diff removal

Well, guess i don't feel like such an idiot any more.

I put a brand new thermostat in the truck this afternoon. Filled the truck up again with water. Went for a drive and the overheating problem is back again. I'm about to just leave the thermostat out of the truck and let it go. It wouldn't overheat without the thermostat, so @#%)* it..

Before I decided to fix this fricking piece of trash 5vz, I was going to pull this 5vzAnchor out and put in a 1KZ... I really wish I had just installed the 1KZ now and thrown the 5vz through the previous owner's living room window.

There's no trash in the motor. It just doesn't like to have a thermostat installed.

Reply to
Nza

by the way,......

re-checked the old "broken" thermostat... it works fine.

I am clueless. Sounds like I'm just going to need to pull out this engine and throw it the *@#$%!@ away.

Reply to
Nza

OK, the problem appears to be related to the thermostat or thermostat installation.

Some things to check... When the t-stat opens, does it open fully? Is the t-stat mounted so that the jiggler valve is roughly at the 12 o'clock position? Is the t-state mounted so that the spring is towards the engine? If the t-stat if aftermarket, does the mounting flange stay put and not get cocked when the housing is replaced?

Reply to
Ray O

I have not checked the new thermostat to see how far it is opening.. This is a stant aftermarket thermostat that my bro picked up yesterday... no jiggler on it like on the original t-stat. When I had the old t-stat in there, the jiggler was at 12 o'clock. Fortunately, the thing won't fit in with the spring outside the engine, so there's only one way.. With the gasket, this aftermarket junk fits as well as the original thermostat. The only difference is the jiggler (and slight design difference). I was thinking of taking the thing back out and drilling a small hole and placing it at the 12 o'clock position.. then reinstalling it.

I'm so glad I'm not working on this at a dealership... LOL!

Reply to
Nza

Someone once told me the purpose of the jiggler valve, but I don't remember what it was. Stant is usually a pretty good brand, but I have heard of them shifting a little when re-installing the housing, and the shift kept the thermostat from opening fully. What is the opening temp of the new t-stat?

Reply to
Ray O

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the jiggler is to allow water to get to both sides of the thermostat before it opens.. This thermostat is a 180F opening..

Oh, i discovered another problem yesterday... LOL... for some reason, the goop I used on the oil pan to seal it ain't sealing it.. woohooo! I think i'm going to cut a gasket out of thin cardboard and glue the thing on there..

Reply to
Nza

I don't know, but water is already on both sides of the thermostat before it opens.

If the car overheats with the Stant thermostat and does not overheat without any thermostat, then try replacing with an OEM one.

Make sure that the goop, also referred to as formed-in-place gasket, or FIPG, is O2 sensor-friendly and that you tighten the oil pan bolts in a star pattern a little at a time. I would clean the surfaces where the FIPG is installed with brake cleaner for a better chance of a good seal.

Reply to
Ray O