'96 Disco front Diff Oil seal.

Our Disco has a weap at least I think its from the diff seal. The rockers also have a minor weap so it's difficult to tell. With all the gubbins in the way of rocker gasket replacement (LPG'd with seperate injection system) I'm reluctant to do the rocker seal just yet as it's minor.

The most irritating bit is that what ever is dripping the oil on a run blows directly onto the exhaust and creates a bit of a pong when you pull up.... not to mention the fear of spontaneous combustion.

To replace the diff seal I recall comment of a nut and a special tool... can some kind soul please enlighten me.

Is it the sort of job you can do on the drive or would you throw in the towl and book it in to be done along with the next service. I'm not shy of the work , just very busy and need the car back to A1 for our touring later this year.

And is there a Disco 300 V8 manual knocking around the web anywhere? It's one of the few ones I've not got yet.

Cheers.

Lee D.

Reply to
Lee_D

AXLE DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLY Service repair no - 51.15.07. DISMANTLE NOTE: Mark differential components so their original positions relative to other components is maintained. Bearing caps must not be interchanged.

  1. Remove axle shafts then differential assembly fom axle.
  2. Remove roll pin securing bearing nut locking fingers to bearing caps. Remove locking fingers.
  3. Loosen bearing cap bolts and mark caps for assembly.
  4. Using service tool LRT-54-508, remove bearing adjusting nuts.
  5. Remove bearing cap bolts and bearing caps.
  6. Remove crown wheel differential unit and bearings.

Remove pinion FRONT AXLE DIFFERENTIAL ONLY

  1. Remove pinion flange nut using service tool LRT-51-003 to restrain flange.
  2. Remove washer and pinion drive flange.
  3. Remove pinion complete with bearing and outer bearing shims.
  4. Remove pinion flange oil seal, spacer and bearing.

Get on with it. the special tool looks like an adjustable peg spanner, you just need summat to hold the flange still. If you leave the diff in the axle you should be able to get the seal out with the pinion in place with the usual hacking and gouging ;-)

Yours for a fiver. big dot russ8 at ntlworld dot com

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

In message , Colonel Tupperware writes

Not quite sure why you are telling him to remove the diff to replace the oil seal ???

Simple job Lee. Drop the prop form the diff, undo the nut/bolt that holds the flange on, prise out seal and fit a new one .Just make sure you don't damage the new seal putting it in.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Marc Draper

I just reproduced the workshop manual instructions as some people like going by the book, but if you read it all you'd see I reccomend leaving the diff in the axle.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

In message , Colonel Tupperware writes

Yes I saw what you said........ There is no way that the " book" time for that job involves all that. You don't want to put the poor chap off a very simple job

Reply to
Marc Draper

If I remember correctly the 96 Disco's had a collapsible spacer on the pinion to set pre-load and pinion height. Doing the job the way you suggest is OK as long as you don't over tighten the pinion nut when re assembling and collapse the spacer further that may put you pinion height out. This means that the crown wheel and pinion may not mate ideally and result in a noisy diff with premature wear. For me I would do it the way you suggest but be careful not to over tighten the pinion nut when reassembling. S

Reply to
Silas