May purchase a '96 Corolla.

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and am hoping you experts can help. My daughter is purchasing her first car and we have found what looks like a very clean '96 Corolla with 151,000 km on it. I'm taking it in for a mechanical inspection tomorrow but I'm wondering if you know of any specific issues with this model (timing belt, etc.) that must be attended to or I should closely look for. Any opinions or insight would be appreciated. Thanks Gary

Reply to
algae

At 151k it should have had the timing belt replaced once already. There should be a sticker under the hood somewhere indicating time and km when placed. Other than that, have the usual tires, brakes, engine, trans, etc. checked.

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
algae

The timing belt will eventually break. It is a lot more convenient to do it at a scheduled visit than on the road. In the U.S., the interval is every

60,000 miles, probably 90,000 km. You can probably safely stretch that interval to 90,000 miles.
Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
algae

Uhhh... Ray, the stretching of the 60K miles has not worked out well for me. In years past, I (actually, my wife) has stopped dead on three occassions in two different Camrys which I (God help me) let go more than 60,000 miles. All went less than 10,000 miles beyond the 60. Have I learned my lesson? I have a 2000 Avalon. Its belt should be changed at 90K. It has 65K on it now. I'm thinking I should be able to hit 100K before giving it a second thought. jor

Reply to
jor

Wow! Yours is the first time I have heard of a T-belt failing so soon. I did not do any of my personal vehicles until after 90k miles, mainly because I'm a procrastinator.

Reply to
Ray O

Most Nissans are Interference engines, meaning when the timing is lost, the valves and the pistons try to occupy the sam space at the same time. Most Toyota Twin-Cam engines are Non-Iterference, which means when the belt breaks or loses a couple teeth (I have never had a belt 'break', generally what happens is a few of the teeth wear off) you'll be calling a tow truck for a lift to a repair facility. So, in addition to the $179-259 for replacing the belt, add $65-120 for the tow!

Reply to
HachiRoku

Karma, I guess. I lead a better life now. (too old to endure my excesses) jor

Reply to
jor

i procrastinated so long that my '95 Geo Prizm was at 115K before i ever changed it.

Reply to
anon

I waited to 103K before I did my '95 Geo Prizm. I don't feel so bad now.

Reply to
Truckdude