'98 Avalon Heater Blower and Outside Temp Indicator not working

On my '98 Avalon, both the outside temp indicator and the heater blower stopped working at the same time. Is this a pure coincidence or some other problem (fuse maybe)? Occasionally both will come on and work but then both shut off.

Can anyone help?

Tim

Reply to
tkenney65

If both are working or not working at the same time, it is probably a safe bet that the problems are related. check all of the fuses under the driver's side of the dashboard and the fuses and relays under the hood.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray,

Dumb question I know.....but is there any indicator on the fuses themselves to show that they have blown?

Reply to
tkenney65

No question is dumb the first you ask it!

Yes, there is an indicator on the fuse to show that it is blown... sort of. The fuse has 2 vertical legs that plug into the fuse socket, and the vertical legs are connected by a wave-shaped thin piece of metal. Think of the letter "H" with the cross-piece being wavy instead of straight across. If too much current flows through the circuit, the wave-shaped thin piece of metal will melt so that current cannot flow between the vertical legs.

When you pull the fuse and the wavy piece is melted away, the fuse is definitely blown. Since the problem you are experiencing is intermittent, there could be a very minute break that is not readily visible to the eye so a visual test may not be good enough. You can buy a fuse tester at auto parts stores, but since the problem you have is intermittent, I would just try pushing down on all of the fuses to make sure none are loose, or if you get a fuse tester or volt meter, test the fuses when thee display is not working.

If you have any aftermarket accessories installed, like a remote starter, aftermarket radio, satellite radio, etc., I would look at those connections as well. The sensor for the exterior temperature is under the passenger side of the bumper, it kind of looks like a mini-loudspeaker. Make sure the connector in the back of it is nice and tight.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray!!!

Reply to
tkenney65

You're welcome, let us know how you make out.

Reply to
Ray O