ABS on 1987 Camry?

HI Am looking to replace the rotors on a 1987 Camry and need to know if I have abs, it is my sisters car so I don't have it infront of me right now.

How can tell? Is there an easy way? A light on the dash?

It is an 1987 but built in late 1986.

I have the vin # if that would help. I would call the dealer but it is too late.

Thanks

Reply to
James Murphy

Turn the Ignition to ON, if the car has ABS, the light should come on for a few seconds then go out. My guess is that your '87 will not have ABS. I am not sure what ABS has to do with the brake pads and rotors though. The ABS parts remain on the car.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

So is my Corolla SR5! That was a good year.

1987 is really pretty early for ABS. I d>

Maybe the ABS and non-ABS models had slightly different brake designs? I know now the only differences are probably a brake fluid pressure modulator in the engine compartment and some electronics, but any 1987 models that had ABS would have early ABS systems and Toyota may not yet have developed them to the point of full optimization on the assembly line, i.e. using as many common parts as possible. Maybe they even used different/special wheel cylinders in some of the first generation ABS systems. The dealer should know.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Bendzick

IIRC, ABS was available in the 87 Camry.

The difference is in the hub, not the pads and rotors.

Reply to
Ray O