Adding fuel to the fire

There is a lot of bashing going on in the thread "Down shifting" about detonation vs combustion.

Here is my 2 cents:

The air/fuel mixture within the combustion chamber is *burned* under controlled conditions.

When something burns in an UNcontrolled condition, it can explode. Detonation causes (precipitates?) explosions. Detonation does NOT cause controlled burning. (Although I *suppose* you could detonate a blasting cap to start a forest fire) :/

Engine knock, pinging, pre-ignition, detonation (pre-detonation) all refer to the same (BAD) condition.

The definition of a word can and does change with the CONTEXT in which it is used. Those of you trying to argue that "detonation" accurately describes what goes on in a properly running internal combustion engine need to give it up and stop arguing semantics.

noneyabusiness

Detonation is not always un controlled.

uh huh

You're right we should not argue over semantics, this word has a pretty clear definition! Pre-detonation would be a better term if it was actually a word. I'm not going to argue with anyone if they want to call it Detonation before ignition, that's fine because really that is what it is, but I wont argue with somebody that detonation does not occur after ignition, because again, they are right. It would be silly to argue it either way, lets move on now Ok?

Reply to
Josh

Hey hey hey, why do you have to go with rational explanations and ruin all the fun? Lets just keep it to personal attacks, okay? Geez....

Qslim

Sounds good. Qslim is a stinky poo poo head. j/k =P

Reply to
Josh

And your breath smells like an exhumed coffin, good sir...

Qslim

Bet you're a republican.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

He's not a poo poo head, he's a doo doo head. Keep it straight.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Registered as, yes. Voting as....not always. Does this mean you are not a Republiscam? Or, are you a Democrap? (I can't think of any slurs for Libertarian at the moment)

Damn, now you've dragged me into the politics cesspool :(

The following might help you label me: Gun Control means being able to hit the target. A woman has the right to make reproductive choices. The death penalty is a good thing, *if* the evidence is incontrovertible. Business needs fewer regulations, but more integrity and honor. I'm not a joiner ("I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." G.Marx.) "Do the Dew" What would Scooby Doo? (OK, those last two might just confuse you) ;-)

Actually, the above is really just an attempt at a really long and useless SIG.

noneyabusiness

Inside an engine, I think that detonation is always an uncontrolled condition. If the detonation is a controlled event, it is called combustion, when it is uncontrolled it is called pre-ignition or pre-detonation or ping. Or, simply detonation.

Well, when "detonate" is the definition of setting off an explosion, then it IS what happens when the spark plugs fire, but when the plugs fire, the result is combustion. Detonation is always used to denote a harmful event inside an engine. Detonation is never a good thing when used during a discussion of internal combustion engines. To use the word in any context that portends normalcy is confusing because clearly when detonation occurs inside an engine, there is an abnormal event taking place.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Aren't you REALLY adding a fuse to the bomb? ;-)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Ladies and gentlemen! We're grown adults. May we move on? I'm sure we have other Toyota vehicle topics more commensurate of everyone's valueable time.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Wanna talk about politics? That's a popular topic here... :/

noneyabusiness

How about the difference between a motor and an engine? That could be fun. As a matter of fact, I submit that there IS no difference....

Qslim

Actually there is a difference! An engine uses a fuel and can not be electric only, however a Motor can be a Fuel Driven Engine or be electric only. So you can call your engine a motor, but if you have an electric motor you can not call it an engine, unless it also uses fuel.

Reply to
Josh

A motor is technically a device that produces motion from an external energy source, such as an electric motor. An engine produces motion from energy it creates by itself, such as a gasoline engine. Granted, the engine needs fuel to produce the energy, but it still produces motion from its own energy whereas a motor depends on an external energy source to produce the motion.

To this extent, there is a difference in a motor and an engine.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland