Why is my Honda such a badass....

1992 Accord EX, just turned 200k miles. I rode it up on the ol' dyno today for its county mandated emissions test, and BAM! Pass pass pass. This thing still has the original cat and original o2 sensor, original rings & seals, and you can practically breathe from the tail pipe. Practically. Dare I offer that Honda builds a superior product?

PS- why do so many Hondas with standard trannys (not chicks with hang-downs, but transmissions) lack active EGR control? I've seen many (both civics and accords) that are equiped with an EGR system only with an auto trans. Maybe Teggers badass website has such info, huh?

Qslim

Superior product!? I think not!!! Probably does not put out enough HP to worry about emissions =P

Reply to
Josh

"Qslim" wrote in news:425db4db$1_2@127.0.0.1:

I fully expect to fail on high NOx when I go for my test next month.

At 245K, the consensus seems to be that my cat is toast. I passed by 1 ppm on NOx last time two years ago (the other two readings were low as can be).

Guess even Honda cats do go bad.

My Integra is such an animal: No EGR and manual tranny. Our automatic '99 Tercel has no EGR either (thank gawd).

Not yet! Submissions on the subject are welcome!

Reply to
TeGGer®

Just don't let that timing belt break... :-o

Also, IIRC, Accords can't really TOW anything, but most Toy's have a

2000 lb rating.

But hey! congrats on getting to 200K miles. Think you'll get another 80K+? (I'm about to retire my 85 SR5 pickup at 290K miles.)

noneyabusiness

noneyabusiness wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Not below a light-truck!

Reply to
TeGGer®

My brother-in-law has you beat all hollow...he has (i think) a 93 Honda Accord with 485,000 Kilometers...hummm, that's slightly over 300,000 miles, no major replacements, looks great.

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I believe all cars with OBDII interface are "tested" by downloading the information from the car's computer - there is no dyno testing. A 1992 Honda probably was not have this interface, so it needs the dyno test. The funniest thing I saw recently was the "trained and certified" state technician carefully putting the front wheels of my 1982 245 on the rollers . . . . I stopped him before he revved up the engine :-) It easily passed the emission tests. Do I dare say that Volvo once built a superior product?

Reply to
ma_twain

Not quite yet, it varies from state to state. Here in Virginia we still dyno all cars for emissions. The OBDII monitor info is used for testing more & more, however, and I suspect Virginia will follow suit in the near future.

Qslim