Air Conditioner stench

My 03 Corolla has developed a bad smell when the AC is turned on. Is this coming from the evaporator? I heard dust, dirt & debris can get on it and rot because of the moisture from condensation. Is there a reasonably easy way to get at it so I can clean it?

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Ernie Sty wrote the following on 6/3/2005 11:33 AM:

The drain on the box that the evaporator is in may be partially clogged, not allowing the box and evaporator to ever dry out.

Your dealer can sell you a can of A/C freshener...foam that is sprayed into and fills the evaporator box, cleaning it out. It is applied from the drain line accessed from underneath the car. Or, the dealer can do the procedure for you for around fifty bucks, while making sure the drain line is working rigiht.

I had it done once when I bought a used Avalon, and the problem never came back.

The product is made by BG and is callde Frigi Fresh. It works like a champ.

Reply to
Qslim

We run into that often with the thousands of fleet vehicles service. Run the AC on recirc and spray a mist of 2% chlorine and water into the interior inlet

mike hunt

Reply to
MikeHunt

To reduce the moisture in the first place, I read somewhere that it is a good idea to shut off the AC a couple of minutes before you reach your destination, and just leave the fan blowing for those couple of minutes. I got into that habit a few years ago and don't have a smell problem with my AC.

Reply to
Truckdude

To reduce the moisture in the first place, I read somewhere that it is a good idea to shut off the AC a couple of minutes before you reach your destination, and just leave the fan blowing for those couple of minutes. I got into that habit a few years ago and don't have a smell problem with my AC.

Don't forget to switch the air to out side air. I do this after long rides, if you do the above every so often or even always, it's easy insurance for your nose. The main idea is to get rid of the condensed water before it has a chance to sit.

I myself have done many things...including lysol or just running the hose in the air inlet---whatever works.

dave.

Reply to
RningOnFumes

Don't forget to switch the air to out side air. I do this after long rides, if you do the above every so often or even always, it's easy insurance for your nose. The main idea is to get rid of the condensed water before it has a chance to sit.

I myself have done many things...including lysol or just running the hose in the air inlet---whatever works.

dave.

errr...that last part...i meant when you have the air on==no a/c switch, fan to full blast, and air switch to out side air.

Reply to
RningOnFumes

"RningOnFumes" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au...

If you guys are talking about that sulfuric fart smell, I haven't found anything that works. I'll check out your suggestions, though

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

That is...do it at the end of your trip or near at least.

and that was evaporative *cooler

Reply to
RningOnFumes

sorry the two other links are:

this 'one'

'this '
the thing won't let me simply cut and paste.d

Reply to
RningOnFumes

You and your fart smells! What state do you live in? If it's NJ forget about it, your whole state smells that way. =)

Reply to
Josh

pre cabin filter days I used the Lysol bit. Worked real good.

I'd suggest doing it as you replace the cabin filter if the odor is still there and not the filter itself stinking. Ron

Reply to
ron

Ernie, you have a "cabin" filter and debris will end up there.

Reply to
No one here

Good answer. I had been doing that already, and while it doesn't completely eliminate the problem, it does help substantially.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Hi Natalie,

I have heard of the fart smell and this is not it. This is a damp/mildew smell. If I shut off the AC and let the fan run several minutes before I shut off the car, it is much improved. If I shut off the car with the AC running, I get a blast of damp, swampy-smelling air the next time I start the car. If I don't use the AC, there's no smell when I start the car. Many other vehicles have this problem, it is not unique to Toyota at all.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Just wanted to say thanks to all who responded. I will check the cabin air filter first, and if that's not it, I'm going to try Frigi Fresh.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Ah. Sorry I can't help you

Natalie