Are weapons made in metric or standard system?

I heard Reagan had an opportunity to fix that but I don't remember.

1982 "President Ronald Reagan disbanded the U.S. Metric Board and canceled its funding. Responsibility for metric coordination was transferred to the Office of Metric Programs in the Department of Commerce."

Yeah, he sure did. But we can't blame it on stupidity as he was trying to save "taxpayers money," and that is a sacred cow.

Money --in the Conservative psyche-- is only well spent in weapons. But are they metric or standard?

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosophe

Toyota helped America convert to metric even when Americans didn't have a clue.

Before they bragged about 350 Chevy motors.

Reply to
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosophe

So did VW. Metric has been the unit of choice for scientists for a long time, though. I got my first metric toolkit to work on an old Bug when I was 15.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

TibetianMonkeyCrap hasn't got a clue, and you should resist the temptation to feed the troll that he is. That's one.

Your VW was built in a metric country that used then and now, metric measurments. VW using metric nuts and bolts has nothing at all to do with helping America learn the metric system. That's two.

TibetianMonkeyCrap is confusing "helping America convert" with the ISO standard that only made a huge mess of automotive repair from the perspective on nuts and bolts. Toyota was not a driving force, it was only a forced participant. Toyota is a GM property, much the same that Mazda is a Ford property. (Perhaps "property" is a poor choice of terms, but the idea holds just the same.)

As for the mess that is the ISO standard in automobiles, I once did a suspension change on a '96 Jeep Wrangler. The mess was that there was a mix of metric and fraction buts and bolts, and several instances of a metric nut sharing the other end of a fraction bolt. It was a royal pain in the ass to work on that Jeep because it required every wrench in the box to do the job we were doing. It should have only taken metric, or only taken fraction, but not both -- and certainly not on opposite ends of the same fastener.

Thank the ISO for this

Reply to
Jeff Strickland