Avalon almost equals Lexus??

I thought that Warren Buffet usually drove a pick-up.

Reply to
sharx35

Nope.

Reply to
witfal

Only after the warranty period.

Reply to
sharx35

Again, nope. Out two BMWs together required less repair than our one Camry.

One of them was outside of warranty.

Reply to
witfal

That is interesting anecdotal information. Unfortunately (for BMW) the experience of millions of other customers over the last 10 years is contrary to what you have stated, and Toyotas are much more reliable than BMW's on average.

Reply to
Mark A

Then I have many friends who also suffer from anecdotal information. All are BMW owners and have had zero, repeat zero non-scheduled issues.

Reply to
witfal

We had a 2001 Avalon. It was a clunker. The latest are supposed to be worse.

On the other hand my wife got a 2008 Camry Hybrid a month or so ago. Extremely impressive car all around.

Reply to
Art

At most you probably know a dozen people with BMW---that is ANECDOTAL evidence. While no one doubts your experience or that of a handful of acquaintenances, your experiences are but a tiny fraction of the reality that German autos are NOT reliable.

Reply to
sharx35

Whoa! I have to disagree loudly with this statment. I've owned four Camrys (83, 89, 92 and 07) and two Avalons (00 & 04). The Avalon, imo, is a much better car than the Camry. It just seems better put together, heavier, more solid with more attention paid to detail. I bought an 07 Camry last year, drove it for three months and traded it along with a couple of grand for an 04 Avalon. I am much happier with the Avalon. It's just my opinion, of course, but I think the Camry quality is headed south. jor

Reply to
jor

I think I did say that it was anecdotal. Just as our Camry has been far less reliable than others here have experienced.

I have also owned one Ford. Only one. It was the worst vehicle I ever owned. Will I buy another? Not in your life.

Reply to
witfal

My 6 cyl. Camry is a 99 and, DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR is a better vehicle than any Avalon.

Reply to
sharx35

In all fairness, I recall my 64 Meteor Monterey (model designations were slightly different here in Canada) that was a fine vehicle. A great highway machine.

Reply to
sharx35

So you MIGHT buy another. I, otoh, will never own another Ford vehicle. Way to bad a taste in my mouth.

Reply to
witfal

Many auto writers have suggested that the new Avalon (starting in '05) compares favorably with Lexus. I have a 2005 Avalon Limited and it has many more refinements and features than the '98 ES350 I traded in on it. More power and better mpg, too. One road test on the Avalon says 0-60 mph in 6.0 seconds. Not bad for a big, roomy sedan that gets 30 miles per gallon on the highway.

Reply to
Mister Bear

Is that you McBrew-jerk? Have you changed your name to protect your stupidity?

2008 LS600hL -- running great!

GIga

My 2001 Avalon was crap.

On the other hand, I know lots of people with Camry's, probably earlier than that model, that had the strut boot problem and couldn't get the banging noises fixed under warranty by their dealers. Consumer Reports seems to have ignored the issue.

Reply to
Art

Some of the latest Fords and GM products are looking pretty good according to Consumer Reports. Took them 40 years but they are finally taking the imports seriously.

Reply to
Art

Why don't you buy one and let us know how it works out for ya?

Reply to
Mark A

Some of the latest Ford and GM products are indeed comparing favorably with Toyotas ... especially the Camry XLE V-6 version, which is no longer a CR recommended vehicle. Check the March issue of Consumer Reports.

CR says ... "Chevrolet Malibu is among the top family sedans. A well-rounded car that now competes with the best in its class."

CR also gives the Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan higher road test scores, and better reliability ratings than the Camry.

Mister B

Reply to
Mister Bear

Was so afraid you had died and gone to your eternal reward without your fan to cool you !

mcbrue

Reply to
mcbrue