Avlon start at high ideal (1600 RPMs)

Cross posted to a.at.Camry .. sorry if that brothers.

Regardless out outside temperature 1996 Avlon start at high ideal (1600 RPMs) and stays that way for five to ten minutes. Some mentioned to me that its a oxygen sensor ?. I cant find it if it is. I suspect that its something to do with the Electronic ignition put I am only guessing. I Hope someone can inform me accordingly. Thanks.

I've had the same issue with a 98 Camry CE - curious to hear responses. Andy

Reply to
andynewhouse

I have spoken to a electrical car service. They has there is no sensor involved (say for monitoring temperature) and that it something wrong within a the electronic that that sets the engine ideal.. Could me a software/hardware problem. I would also would be most interested in what you find out. I also think toyota has a web site where you can ask them questions ?.

Cold start / high idle speed of 1600 rpm is the way it is supposed to be. As coolant temperature starts to rise, the idle speed is supposed to drop. ANYTHING that prolongs engine warm-up (i.e., very cold ambient temperature or a thermostat that is not fully closed when cold) WILL result in the elevated idle speed taking longer to drop down to normal idle speed.

But before you go tossing parts at things, do get the ECM codes read just to be sure there is no other electronic emissions component failure present.

Reply to
Philip

Thanks I will get an ECM reading done. I guess that I can get that done at most repair/gas station, i.e I need not go to a dealer for the ECM codes. I need to restate that happens went the outside temp is 80-90 or more. I live in southern Virginia !!. To me 1600 RPMs seems pretty high and not good for engine wear. I have looked in a Haynes repair manual for Camry 1992-1996 they mention a temp sensor in the air filter...will check if one is in the avlon. I found nothing in the manual that talks a bout idle speed. Cheers

Philp, I forgot to say thanks for the information. I did visit a neighbor who has a 1997 and as you said his started and idled at 1600 RPM in his garage. Local Auto zone will allow one to use ECM ncode reader for free. I have to admit I was surprised that parts stores carry ECM checker but they are expensive if you only use it a few times over many years.