before oil change clean or dirty oil better?

some guys brag that after 3000 to 5000 miles their oil still looks clean. is this good? have heard that clean oil after several thousand miles only means that the oil is not cleaning the engine and removing deposits and so fourth. whaat do you guys think?

Reply to
Dave Dave

From the research lab guys at Mobil I had it confirmed that a good oil cleans up deposits and holds such deposits and other contaminates in suspension. This means that an oil that gets dirty and can hold the dirt in suspension is doing what the lab guys intended. It must also hold water, and deal with acids, as well as lubricate. If someone is using a so called detergent oil and it is staying clear, something is wrong with the oil.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

I think those guys brag about their oil because they don't have the trophy wife/girlfriend/mistress, overachiever children, mansion in the burbs, country estate, yacht, bizjet, or season tickets to the White Sox to brag about.

As far as the oil looking clean, it is possible that the oil is not removing contaminants, that there are no contaminants to remove, or that those guys are exaggerating.

Reply to
Ray O

"Clean" is a matter of degree. No one has oil that looks brand new after

3000 - 5000 miles. However some oil is dirtier than others, and most of the better cars that I have owned (Toyota and Honda) has much cleaner looking oil than crappy cars. I take that as a good sign, not a bad one.
Reply to
Mark A

So it means the very dark Toyota Oil (at 3K-4K) I had been using was actually good? I thought it was bad and switched to Mobil7500.

Reply to
ZR

A synthetic blend oil like Mobil 7500 is better than a conventional oil. An engine that turn oil black after 3000 miles is usually not in as good of shape as an engine that turn an oil dark brown in that same amount of time.

The color of the engine oil says more about the engine than it does about the quality of the oil, unless you have a really crappy oil.

However, changing to a better oil "may" not improve the condition of an engine, but it "may" keep things from getting any worse. But these things are hard to predict and results vary from case to case (no pun intended).

Reply to
Mark A

If you use the expensive premium oil filters on a new engine that is pretty tight, oil can stay fairly clean looking for quite a while.

Blowby is the biggest contaminant of oil, and that is directly related to mileage, since the rings in the pistons eventually wear out.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I think that if the oil really IS clean, then the motor ought to also be clean. Clean is always better.

PS I see no reason on current models to change the oil any earlier than 5000 miles, and 7500 is a safe figure. Many automakers have designs that will let oil be used up to about 15000 miles, but that number makes me nervous.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

A good air and oil filter changed regularly with good oil and it looks pretty good in my Highlander for 3-4000 miles. I happen to use 5-30 Castrol & yota filters.

Reply to
ron

In the olden days, before dispersants and detergents were added to oil, it was normal for it to come out transparent looking.

That being said, if a proper, modern oil with all the additives comes out clean, what does that mean? Is it a bad thing?

It suggests that the combustion contaminants are not making their way into the crank-case; that is to say, the carbon soot and whatnot is not sneaking by the piston rings, or valve guide seals, in large amounts.

In other words, these parts are doing a good job.

Reply to
Kaz Kylheku