Bird Car

I'm always using the windshield cleaner fluid and squeegee found at GAS STATIONS to wash off the many bird droppings the Camry gets.

I must use the fluid once or twice a week *every* week. (Using it on the car's actual body and paint--not just the windshield.)

Will this fluid which contains methyl alcohol, and which I use all the time, eventually take a toll on the Meguiar's 26 wax job on the car?

Thank you so much.

Reply to
Built_Well

Yes, and sooner rather than later.

Keep a jug of water and some soft rags in the trunk from now on, and use those.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Not sure about Meguiar's 26 but I've found Nu Finish outlasts Meguiar's new NXT Tech Wax. Not to mention Nu Finish is LOTS less expensive. Bird crap is usually easy to remove with just water.

On the plus side, most gas stations I frequent no longer put anything into their windshield cleaning water. At every gas station I go to the water looks clear and smells as good/bad as local tap water. OK, in winter some stations put in a little alcohol but most just let the water freeze in my neck of the woods.

Reply to
dimndsonmywndshld

Eventually, yes. don't park under trees.

Reply to
Ray O

Heard a tip on the radio this week which may relate: when washing a car, at the last rinse add a tiny amount of "wax" (ie, whatever the stuff really is, I doubt it is wax) to the water. No precise amount was given; I got the impresion of maybe a bottle capful to a couple of UK gallons (== 2.4 US gal).

Another tip I heard in the 1970s, which has served me well: DON'T add detergent to car-wash water. Use plain water. Remove oil or tar with a rag dampened in white spirit. Reason: detergent is a wetting agent and those nooks and crannies will dry slower. The prolonged damp will encourage corrosion.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Far less than the what "bird droppings" are doing to your cars finish. Park some place else or whatever it take's to keep that white acid off your car.

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

It will wear on your wax job but with much less alacrity than the bird droppings.

Good wax, by the way. I use Zymol for my cars. Although, I use Meguiar's 3-step for the older paint jobs that have been neglected.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Well, of course it will! It will also start in on the paint, although this will take many, many years. But, if you keep up with the Meguire's #26, you will have no problem whatsoever.

I had a 1980 Corolla that I hit with the Meguire's about every three months. I even spilled Gasahol on a regular basis down the side of the car (I was always tryin to fill it to the tipptiy-top...) and after 6 years there was NO damage from the fuel spills.

Meguire's as far as I am concerned is the best product for your car. I have been using it for a LONG time, and when I saked the guys from PPG what they waxed their $20,000 paint jobs for the Indy Pace Cars, when they said Meguire's that cemented it for me.

My 'hachiroku' was waxed and cared for exclusively with Meguire's products and 21 years later it shows!

My '88 Honda (Had On Never Did Again!) was hit with the New Car Glaze the day it came home, and a couple times later, and when my wife traded it in

1998 it still looked great.

The only other thing I use, when the paint starts to oxideze a little, is 3M Fill 'n Glaze Pink; good luck finding it. It was discontinued 2-3 years ago and supplies are dwindling (primarily because I buy every bottle I can find!) Apply by hand every 3 years or so, and then give it Meguire's and it'll look new for a long, long time!

Good luck!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Zymol is amother good product. I haven't used it that much, but I did use it on my Tercel and it was still beading up 6 months later! The car looked fantastic, too. But, the price is a problem! $35 for a can the size of Pond's Cold Cream!!!!

I found some for $10 at a local parts store. I only bought one... :(....

Reply to
Hachiroku

Meguire's is also what Toyota recommended to treat cars with acid rain damage.

Reply to
Ray O

It works well, but after 7 years sitting outside it was time to do something more drastic. I remembered the pink Fill 'n Glaze from when I was an autobody 'apprentice', so i got a bottle, but instead of machining it I used a damp rag and rubbed it by hand. Then, some Meguire's New Car Glaze and a coat of #26 had it looking like Brand New again!

Reply to
Hachiroku