Brake Fluid - Maintenance Sched.

I don't see anything about change intervals for brake fluid in my owners book (93 4runner). Any recommendations - miles - months? Can't last forever, one wouldn't think. thanks

Reply to
DonLogan

If the brake system is sealed, the fluid will theoretically last forever. In the real world, the fluid absorbs moisture from the air and so changing the fluid every 3 or 4 years or every other brake pad change is a good idea.

Reply to
Ray O

...or if it has already turned black.

Reply to
Viperkiller

The only reason for it to turn black is if your flexi-hoses are collapsing internally, i have an open tub of brake fluid i left out in the garden for about 3 months - rain or shine - and it hasnt changed colour much. Still looks like fresh engine oil, used to look like a fine virgin olive oil.

Coyoteboy

I change it every 2 years, but that's overkill. It's cheap and easy to do. At the maximum I would say 4 years but that's probably pushing it. If you don't do it you will likely be awarded with costly abs repairs.

Reply to
RT

the real world, the fluid absorbs moisture from the

change is a good idea.

If the brakes are done in shop those power bleeders pump a lot of brake fluid thru too.

Come to think of it my 1987 Supra still has the original brake fluid.. lol...

Reply to
Danny G.

In our fleet service business we changed brake fluid every two years, or 75K WOF, in those vehicles that use DOT 3. If one uses DOT 5, there is no need to change the brake fluid because water will migrate to the top and evaporate

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I did some research on this a few months back, having to replace the entire hydraulic system of a vintage Willys. One thought was to use DOT5 as it is incompatible with DOT3 and 4 requiring complete replacement of the hydraulic system to upgrade anyway, is not hygroscopic and does not need changing

There is some indication that DOT5 may be phased out by the US military & if so could become difficult / impossible to find in the civilian world.

While DOT3 and DOT4 are hygroscopic they aren't strongly so; furthermore they contain anticorrosives which generally last about two years before losing their effectiveness.

Based on my research I chose to go with DOT3. I intend to change it every two years with new DOT3 from a sealed container; when topping up I will add from a tightly closed but not necessarily factory sealed bottle.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

I disagree that it is likely that a vehicle will need ABS repairs if the fluid is not changed after 4 years. I have yet to see or hear of an ABS actuator needing replacement for any reason, let alone due to the lack of brake fluid changes. On the other hand, I have seen calipers and brake cylinders get corroded due to lack of fluid changes.

Reply to
Ray O

I didn't say after 4 years. I said if you don't do it. read.

I've seen several abs systems that broke down. All of them had never had the brake fluid replaced. People think cars only need oil changes.

Reply to
RT

I didn't say the ABS would fail after 4 year either. read. ;-)

What broke down in the ABS systems you saw? What model vehicles? BTW, I agree on the need to change brake fluid.

Reply to
Ray O