brake light occationally on/off

Hi, Brake light sometimes briefly turns on and off. When it stays on for brief period, if I pull/release the hand brake, it goes off, what is going on here?

Reply to
wenmang

(1) Handbrake lever not completely released to begin with (even if you thought it was) (2) Handbrake switch out of adjustment (3) Handbrake switch gummed up or otherwise in need of replacement

All of course assuming that "something else" isn't causing the problem that you're attributing to the handbrake.

-- Mike Harris Austin TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

If you are talking about the brake warning light on the instrument panel, check the brake fluid level in the master cylinder in the engine compartment. Most likely, it is near the "minimum" level marked on the reservoir. If that is the case, check brake linings for wear because they are probably getting thin.

Another possibility is that parking brake is not fully disengaged, or the parking brake warning switch is hanging up or out of adjustment.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray. I was talking about light on instrument panel. I checked front brakes, they have 3-4mm left. I cannot check rear brakes though. The level of brake fluid indeed is near the minumum mark, could I just top it to normal level? or re-bleed is needed if I add more brake fluid? My car has 76K on it, not sure whether rear drum brake need to be replaced or not. Last time at dealer, they recommended it to me, but I did not do it.

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

instrument panel,

Reply to
wenmang

Minimum brake lining thickness is 2 mm so the front brake pads are getting close to needing replacement. Depending on brake shoe thickness, they may also need replacement.

You can top the brake fluid to normal level, but when you eventually have the brake linings replaced, whoever does the work will need to remove some brake fluid so it doesn't overflow when the pistons are retracted. You should not need to re-bleed the brakes if you add fluid. Personally, I would add just enough fluid to get it above the minimum level. Use only fresh brake fluid from an unopened container if you add fluid.

Reply to
Ray O