Cabin Air Recirculate (?)

In a modern car (such as a Toyota), when the "recirculate" feature of the cabin air system is activated, how much fresh air is getting into the cabin? Surely, it couldn't be zero, as this would asfixiate the driver (that is if he/she didn't get drowsy and crash before then).

I would think that recirculating the cabin air would be a very wrong thing to do if the driver is getting drowsy.

On my RAV4, the recirculate feature seems to come on automatically whenever the engine is started, or if any other cabin air control button is pushed, or if I look away from the controls for too long .

Is the US DOT involved with design standards for the minimum number of air-changes per hour, or anything like that?

Thoughts?

Reply to
croy

I have never seen published figures on how much fresh air enters the cabin when the HVAC system is in recirculate mode, but it is definitely not zero.

Some Toyota HVAC systems automatically switch to recirc mode when max AC is called for, then switch back to fresh. The system in my Lexus also switches to recirc if a sensor in the system detects fumes like when you are following a vehicle with a diesel engine.

Reply to
Ray O

asphyxiate.

About 10%. The blend door for outside air never closes all the way.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

In message , croy writes

On my Auris, if the minimum temperature is selected the recirculate comes on, it is confirmed as being correct in the handbook. Just press the appropriate button to turn it off.

Reply to
Clive