440 air-con "recirculate" button bulb

Can someone tell me, please: in a "revised version" 440 (mine is from Aug 1995), when the bulb fails in the air-con "recirculate" button, how much needs to be replaced? The button, just to avoid confusion, is the one on the left (in RHD 440s, if that matters) which changes colour when pushed in.

I stripped things down to where it looked as if the whole button assembly is replaceable, maybe even the switch. This seemed so wrong that I just put it back together. Searches on Google threw up nothing, FWIW. A big Volvo dealer's spares dept were baffled.

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

"Andrew Stephenson" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@deltrak.demon.co.uk...

I am baffled that your Volvo spares dept are baffled!

It will be required to dismantle any switch to gain access to it's bulb, and this carries a high risk of damage. It is preferable to obtain a complete switch assembly.

Prise off the blank switch cover at the right hand side of the panel. If this reveals the back section of a false switch, use a pair of thin-nosed pliers to pull out the back half of the switch.

Reach in through the aperture with a finger or a hooked tool, and hook out the switch next to the blank just removed, pulling it towards you to withdraw it from the facia.

If this is not the switch required, the wiring plug need not be disconnected. Carry on prising out the switches in this way until the required switch is removed, and disconnect the wiring.

Dismantling a switch generally involves separating the front section from the rear body of the switch, which risks damage. Switch bulbs are usually wedge-based type, which can be pulled out.

jon

Reply to
Jon

So was I. :-( But they _seemed_ to be trying to help, which is marvellous enough. :-) The spares microfiche did not depict the assembly clearly enough.

I have saved the rest of what you wrote but will snip it here.

The "air recirculate" switch is not one of the big rocker types, as often used for major lights. Its push-button is round, maybe

1cm across, and juts out of the plate which encloses the similar "a/c on/off" switch and the three environmental control knobs.

I can strip it to where part of the recirculate switch mechanism becomes visible. But I cannot see how to dismount the switch or how to open it up to get at the bulb. It seems firmly embedded. The last time I had it stripped I was parked outside the dealer's spares dept and did not want to become too adventurous, in case I crippled the car far from home.

I am quite happy to buy a whole new switch. All that's needed is the approved way of removing it.

Thanks for your help.

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Hi Andrew, Re:

I have a 460 but do not have that particular switch. But, if you have pulled off the knob and there is no nut visible, you more than likely must remove the panel and push the switch out from behind.

It took me hours before I figured out how to remove the light bulb in the clock!

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Okay, I'll go take another look at the situation. The switch is not at all like any of the others, so maybe it calls for cunning.

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson