Camry Noise?

Hi,

I have a 2000 Camry with about 80k miles. The car has begun to make a slight whinning noise that is most noticable as I slow down. It sounds like the brakes but I see no unusual wear on pads or rotors and the noise is present even when the brakes are not engaged (although less pronounced).

I would appreciate any ideas.

DG

Reply to
David Glass

Did you check the inner side of the pads and rotors? A metallic screeching noise is usually the pad wear indicators. You should have a least 2/32" of pad thickness remaining.

Reply to
Ray O

Gee, Ray, I was thinking more along the lines of an alternator bearing or an idler pulley. I have had two cars that did this; when the engine was running at normal RiPpMs there was no noise, but (esp if you put your foot on the clutch) there was a whining from the fron of the car. Perhaps (OP didn't say what tranny...) a throw-out bearing?

Reply to
hachiroku

Good point! That's why I described a metallic screeching noise instead of a whine.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for the inputs. Break pads are relatively new; I replaced them myself. Noise is not engine speed dependent so doesn't seem to be an engine component.

Thanks again...DG

Reply to
David Glass

David, when you replaced the brake pads, did you apply anti-squeal compound to the pads and shims. make sure that the caliper slides move freely, and lube the slides with anti-seize or high temp wheel bearing grease?

Do you have alloy wheel or steel wheels with wheel covers? If you have wheel covers, try removing them and see if the noise goes away.

Reply to
Ray O