camshaft timing marks 3a

Hello, I am new to this group. I am up to my elbows in 83 tercel. The timing belt broke the other day. I am rotating the camshaft looking for marks that line up. What am I looking for? Also, I have not felt anything go bump. Is this indeed a non-interferance engine?

Reply to
Larry

That is an Interference engine. Hopefully, the engine was idling when the belt broke! There may be some chance it's OK if it was at idle.

The marks should be an arrow, a dot, or an indent on the crank shaft and cam shaft. Be sure #1 is at TDC!

I think at this point I would remove the valve cover just to make sure this is worth doing.

Interesting. I looked at

for a timing belt and they do NOT say it is an Interference engine. I had an '83 AWD Wagon and was told by a Toyota tech that the engine WAS interference!

Oh, wait...upon further inspection:

Timing type and interval for a

1983 Toyota Tercel

Interference engine application substantial and costly engine damage can occur if belt breaks or slips. It is recommended at every 60,000 miles or every 48 months to replace timing belt regardless of the condition.

It IS interference. I would crack the Valve cover and have a look!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
Larry

Went to the Gates website @

and clicked on the Timing Belt Replacement Guide. Although belt manufacure suggests 60k mile changes, it does not have the " * " next to it indicating it is an interference engine. Based on the Gates website, it is a "non-interference" engine. He can breathe easy! Many Toys are non-interference. Hondas on the other hand... Hope this helps,

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Yeah, I know. Gates says no, but Toyota and AZ say yes. This has been a mystery that has plagued this group for ages!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Oh, dear... Good luck. But, before popping the cover, I would wait for Ray O, or if you're lucky, Ray O AND Qslim to weigh in. I'm just a hack. Those guys are for real! (Ray was a Factory Rep, and qslim, until recently was an MDT for Toyota...)

Reply to
Hachiroku

If Toyota says yes, I'd go with that. What better resource than the people who designed it!

Reply to
Dave L

It has been around 15 years since I looked at the innards of one of those engines. Set #1 cylinder to TDC compression. There should be a line on the outside of one of the teeth on the camshaft pulley. Rotate the camshaft so that the line is pointing straight up and lines up with a notch on the head.

As a general rule, Toyotas with timing belts are non-interference and those with chains are interference, but I think the 3A engine was an exception to that rule.

Before you install the timing belt, see if you can rotate the camshaft freely. If it jams, then you will have to pull the head to check the valves.

Reply to
Ray O

I guess I should have kept all those factory repair manuals I left behind - Every factory service manual for every Toyota from 1983 - 1993, including wiring diagrams, New Model Features, and TSB's :-(

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
Larry

Um...YEAH!! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Nobody ever accused me of having foresight!

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
Larry

Congrats! Did you do the belt yourself?

The 4WD wagon was a weird car. The engine was North-South, and had an extra 'pumpkin' in the front. The timing belt was real easy to get at, since it had an electric fan and the front of the engine was open.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Doing the belt was not very difficult. Removing the radiator gave me plenty of room. I could probably do one now in less than two hours. I doubt I will have the opportunity, the last one lasted 195,000 mi. The engine is using more oil these days, 500-600 mi. to the quart, compression on the cylinders is in the low to mid 90's. I was ready to let it go if the repair was much more involved. I use it now to take two Labs out to play. It works well on slippery unpaved roads taking tired, muddy dogs home.

Hachiroku =E3=83=8F=E3=83=81=E3=83=AD=E3=82=AF wrote:

Reply to
Larry