Can somebody verify this for me? W58 Tranny

I have been looking for a W58 Manual trnny for my '86 Supra

One page I ran across says I have one right under my nose...in my '85 Celica GT-S!

Now I was going to try to sell the car (the engine has 160,000 on it and runs great) or have been toying with trying to fix it One More Time (about $300) but I don't want to fix it again just to have something else break.

But, if what I read is true, the W58 was used in the '83-'85 Celica GT-S,

84-86 Supra, and the '86.5-92 Supra. If I can use this tranny in my Supra, I won't feel too bad about sending the rest to the scrap yard.

Now, if only the darn wheels fit... (They don't...)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Oh, Boy! Also found this:

W58 -3.768 3.285 1.894 1.275 1 0.783 35kg 230 82-98 Supra (5M-GE, 7M-GE, 2JZ-GE), 86 Supra/Soarer/Cressida (1G-GTE), 82-85 Celica (US 22R-*)

In 92 (or 94) they changed the size of the Input shaft for the JZ engine. So, it looks like this may work! The tranny is in good shape, it may need an output bearing or a throw out bearing. Easy to do once I get it out of the car.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Get some therapy

:-)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Wait...I thought this was a *Toyota* Newsgroup!!!!

I had a line on an '88 with a manual and good body parts, $300, and a week before I had the cash the kid's landlady had it towed to God knows where. I called all the impound yards in the area but nobody had it (or heard of it) I really wanted the tranny.

Well, it turns out the door was the wrong one, my fender's not that bad, and I have a tranny right in my own back yard!

Reply to
Hachiroku

You still need therapy

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I *NEED* an '88 Supra with a 5-speed and a fuel tank that doens't leak! :)

Oh, and a 4A-GE engine with only 136,000 miles on it. Know where I can get one of THOSE??? :)

Reply to
Hachiroku

GAH!

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

LOL! The smell of Gear oil overwhelming you? :)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Does the AE hachi roku need a new motor? Besides the Corolla GTS, check out FX 16 GTS and MR2's as donors.

happy motoring!

Reply to
Ray O

Ray, you enabler, you...

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Well, it *could*. It's got 258,000 on it and is perhaps a 'little' tired. The OP doesn't quite get to where it used to, but rarely gets below 1/2 or

1/3 on the guage.

Still goes like a bat out of hell, though! :)

And, yeah, Wicked Doll had an FX16...I was talking about buying it from her but she gave it to her Mother... :(... And my BIL had an '86 MR2 back in '87. I got to drive it a couple times. Still has my wife's knuckle marks in the dash! You know what they say, Get in, Sit down, Shut up and HANG ON!!!

One of the most truly audacious cars I have ever driven, and I have had my hands on Porsche's and Jags. Definitely MUCH more refined than a Porsche!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I thought this was a Toyota group?

BTW, where the heck is Nick when you need him? If anyone here knew anything about assembling a Frankenstein, it was Nick!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Gotta keep the customers happy!

Reply to
Ray O

The first and second generation MR2's were a lot of fun to drive. I have not driven the current generation.

When MR2 sales slowed down at the end of the first generation's production, they were sitting at the port and on dealer's lots so everyone in our office had to take one for a company car. With 4 kids at home, the MR2 was not the most practical car for me so I put off putting in my order and got stuck with an automatic. Oh well, it was still fun, especially on Route 2!

Reply to
Ray O

Oh, you poor man...FORCED to tkae an MR-2?!?!?!

I would have been jumping for the chance! And, had I known sales were so slow...

YEEEEE HAAAA!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

It is - which also doesn't help your addiction...

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Spoken like a Toyota man...

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Fifteen years of hearing that at every meeting is kind of hard to undo...;-)

Reply to
Ray O

Yeah, only had to keep it for a month or so. One does get seriously spoiled changing cars every 3 or 4 months. Some of my favorite rides were RWD Celica GTS, which was what I usually chose in the spring, summer, and fall while I was single, 4WD Tercels, All-Trac Camrys (fun to watch people in 4X4 trucks and Jeeps do a double-take when I pass them in the mud in the woods) and Cressidas.

Reply to
Ray O

You just hit two of the cars I have recently owned. Now, If I can just figure out a way to put the 5-speed from the Celica GT-S into the Supra...

I'm told I need an "M" Bellhousing. I have no idea what the one in the GT-S is...

Reply to
Hachiroku