Re: 22R Conversion to 22RE

"> My 81 Toyota has a carbureted 22r engine.. I just know this is gunna let me

down when i start hitting the hills offroading or get a little angled. How > dificult would it be to convert to fuel injected? Was thinking of buying a > short block(engine's reaching it's last legs) And then adding neccesary > parts, cpu, and harness. What exactly would I need to add to a short block? > or if going with a long block from a 85' could I also use the harness from > an 85'? Thanks

If you use an 81-84 block you'll need an 83-84 EFI head. If you ue anything

85+ you'll need 85 head and block. The 85 EFI isnt that hard to work with. Wiring is pretty simple actually. Buy an '85 Toyota truck service manual and have at it. All the info need to wire it up and make it run properly is in there. you can use 82-83 EFI Supra, Celica, Cressida. External Fuel pumps and the existing fuel lines. just be sure to wire in a fuel pump relay between the "FP" ECU wire and the pump. the ECU cant handle the required amps to run the pump. only enough to activate a relay.
Reply to
will

I have a 22r engine and I have been a lot angled, almost straight up and down and I have had no problems with the fuel system. I've been off road in the mountains where I have got myself in some awful angles and have never had the engine faulter. I wouldn't spend the expense of efi unless you just wanted it. Maybe efi is better for rock crawlers, but I don't know since I'm not one.

Reply to
Brad Taylor